close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sticking to their guns: Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ERASER, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ERASER

ERASER
    Expand Collapse
    Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

2. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

You can't argue with a classic that still performs.

3. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

gun is for special ops formations only- "regular" Marines will still carry M9

4. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

For now.

5. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Great news for us 1911 fans.

I know gloves may often be worn, but I don't get the smooth FS

#5 R0CKETMAN, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  6. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Very cool indeed :thumbsup:

7. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Common sense for them to resume issuing the 1911. Nothing else is as effective. However, given the unit price, they are very grossly overpaying for what they are getting. For what they are paying, they could have bought very nice, fully functional Springfield Armory 1911 with the bells/whistles they thought necessary and have lots of money left over.

8. smitty704

smitty704
    Expand Collapse

9. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

don't you know that the US army/government goes for the higher bid, more kick backs, etc.

10. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure that cost covers a lot more than just the pistol.

11. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

I do not consider that the price only covers the purchase cost of the pistols. However, the unit cost is far beyond any rational for a combat pistol.

12. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn
    Expand Collapse

Not if you're getting personal attention 24/7.
    Anytime something goes wrong I'm sure they won't have any issues getting them fixed or modified in a timely fashion.

#12 Lethaltxn, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Why would the USMC need personal attention from Colt 24/7? Do not the Marines have armorers? Are they not capable of doing whatever needs to be done to any weapon in the inventory? The idea that any of the armed services would send something as common as a 1911 out to the manufacturer for service/modification is ludicrous. These things are not B-1 bombers.

14. gurana

gurana
    Expand Collapse

There's a lot off considerations that go into contracting decisions. Not just the lowest bid. The marines would have an office of civilian employees that do nothing but look into the details for deals like this. If Springfield underbid Colt, perhaps there was some doubt as to their ability to deliver. I didn't rtfa, so I don't know if they even put in a bid. But if they did, another possibility is that Springfield couldn't meet some requirement the marines had in their contract... An example of this would be environmental protection measures in the manufacturing processes. Another is that they be built in the US. I don't know if either of these are actual requirements, it's just the type of thing you might expect to see. Legacy contract holders tend to have a leg up in these deals. Not only can they point to past performance, but they already have everything in place to meet all the requirements. Just because a springfield you could buy in the private market is cheaper than a similar colt, doesn't mean that's a price the could offer the marines if doing so means making changes to their manufacturing processes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

15. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn
    Expand Collapse

You've clearly never been in the service. It's not ludicrous at all and in no way derides the capability of our military armorers, but nice try.
    Stuff is sent back to manufacturers quite often for repairs or other mods that either cannot be done in the field or must meet some sort of government standard to use.

#15 Lethaltxn, Jul 29, 2012
  16. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

as far as I know, Military does not have a gunsmith slot open. Armory only maintains firearms. if there is a worn-out/broken part, the manufacturer handles that. as far as planes go, same concept. Military maintains and fly the planes. something breaks, thats where contract (which is part of the price) comes to play whether Boeing or Lockhead Martin.

#16 dakrat, Jul 29, 2012
  17. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

$1875 per unit cost. That counts "spare parts and logistical support". Doesn't seem too extravagant of a cost to me.

18. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. There's more to the cost than just the pistol.

Bruce continues to show his ignorance, time and again.

19. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

This is just awesome. One of the finest pistol designs ever, meets one of the most historic armsmakers ever, to supply to one of the greatest fighting forces ever. Its about time!

Now if we could just get rid of that disgusting green paint and that tacky grip, we're all set! :upeyes:

[​IMG]

#19 IndianaMatt, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  20. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

It's not green, but more like tan/FDE/coyote (damn, and you thought that chicks are bad with their vocabulary description of colors), and I'm sure that there's some justification for the weird color combo on the grip (broken up pattern camouflage?).

Yeah, I'm with you. A service handgun or firearm should be black.

Duty Gear at CopsPlus