close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

STI Spartan Problems

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Quiet Confidence, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Quiet Confidence

Quiet Confidence

Oct 16, 2008
    The south
    Ever since purchasing my Spartan i have had a reoccurring problem with the slide not slamming all the way home. It leaves about an 1/8" gap, about twice every mag, not allowing the gun to fire. I figured the gun just needed some breaking in so i kept shooting it. Ive put about 500 rds through it so far and the problem persists. So today i field stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it and put it back together. I took it to the range and now about every other shot the hammer does not stay back. I took it apart again and everything looked in order, but then again I am far from a 1911 expert. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    This. They have great CS and will make it right.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    the first issue sounds like extractor tension being too tight.

did you remove the mainspring housing and/or the sear spring?
    if you did, check to make sure you installed the sear spring correctly.

5. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    He mentioned that he just field stripped it, so I dont think that the spring is the problem. I would also give STI a call. Like everyone else has said, their CS is top notch

6. Quiet Confidence

Quiet Confidence

Oct 16, 2008
    The south

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Like I had mentioned, extractor tension and check to see that you have your sear spring installed properly.

8. Quiet Confidence

Quiet Confidence

Oct 16, 2008
    The south
    Ok guys...so i took your advice and called STI. I told them the problems I was having and they told me to send it in and it would be repaired free of charge. Since I live close to their headquarters I asked if I i could drop it off. They said no problem. I walked in and the gunsmith that I spoke with on the phone met me in the lobby and long story short he fixed my Spartan while I waited in the lobby! All with a smile on his face and a handshake. I turns out the chamber was a bit tight so he bored that out, alsoI had incorrectly placed the sear spring. It took that gunsmith 20 minutes to make me a lifelong STI supporter and customer. Thanks guys.

9. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    STI for the WIN. Glad to hear you are good to go. :thumbsup:

10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Good to hear.

At least I got one of the 2 problems correct.

11. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    thats a real cool CS story, I like to hear that kind of stuff!

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    That's exactly what I suspected from your postings. Good for Spartan for making a lifelong costumer out of you. The spring mix up is easy to do.

Why the fascination with non-GI barrels with the 1911 folks I'll never know. Most all the problems I encounter with folk's 1911s are the 'match' barrel not feeding well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  13. sirgarreth

sirgarreth

Jul 29, 2008
    Miami
    This story actually pulls me toward my next 1911 purchase being an STI and leaving Kimber way at the bottom. Thanks!