close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sterling 9mm Carbine report (pics)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Hi. I got the bullet hose out at the local indoor range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used Fiocchi 115gr fmj and tried some 124gr Gold Dots. THe magazines for the Sterling hold 34rnds, but usually run best with 30-32 loaded in. Instead of followers, they actually use rollers, making it easier to load and helping reliability.

[​IMG]

Shooting was good, though I need to adjust the front sight and raise the POI and move it over right a few inches.

COM was rapid fire at 30ft and the head shots were 65ft. Function was good with Fiocchi, but it doesn't do Gold Dots...period.
    It would mash the hollowpoint and set back the bulet in the case from being slammed by the heavy bolt.

[​IMG]

I was able to get through enough Gold Dots to put up a nice six shot group, though way low and left at 65ft.

[​IMG]

The peep and post sights seem coarse, but they work well and recoil is pretty close to zero with only the heavy bolt bumping the sights off. Pretty much an easy shooter.

2. Kikon

Kikon Apprentice

Jan 21, 2012
    Santiago, Chile
    Congrats! Great shooting and Gorgeous looking Gun! :2gun:

3. If you wanted a premium hollow point, try the Hornady Critical Defense. I use Gold Dots in my 9's, but my LCP likes the pointy plastic tipped Hornady stuff.

Just in case you decide to CCW it :)

4. Wurger

Wurger

Oct 9, 2010
    Knew I should have bought one of these when I hefted one at the Harrisburg show this year. Heavy, but the fun factor looks to be very high!

The SMG parts kit your rifle was made from may have been used in the Falkland back in the 80's when the Iron Lady sent the Brit military down south to sort out things.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Just don't do what the Brit paratroops did in Falklands...going up against Argentines with FALs while wielding those burp guns.

6. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    If your mags don't work perfectly with a full 34rds, you need to clean them. I've never had an issue with fully-loaded Sterling mags through my SMG.

I usually run NATO-spec 124gr ammo through mine. I sometimes get runaways with Rem-UMC cheap bulk-pack ammo as it's too weak to reliably engage the sear.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I need to try some NATO spec stuff, the fiocchi seemed a safe bet but it felt mild.

8. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Rebel scum.:steamed:

:supergrin:

10. travis34769

travis34769

Mar 12, 2007
    orlando
    Been looking at one of those for a while. Glad to see this review!

11. Glock26z

Glock26z

Jul 17, 2010
    I have one myself and all ways shoot ball ammo in it. That is what it was made to shoot. I have one from the early 40s date.

12. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Very cool. This has always been on my list of "would be cool to have" guns. Have you thought about getting an optic and chopping the barrel - would love to get a true to form Stormtrooper carbine out of one of those!

13. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    I've always wanted one of these, nice review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I'll try to do more shooting this weekend, see how it works with 124 and 147gr ball.