close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stephen Hawking is an Idiot

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Smacktard, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Smacktard

Smacktard

Oct 22, 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwAPEc_U20&feature=related"]Stephen Hawking is an Idiot - YouTube[/ame]

:rofl:

2. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    Three minutes of talk and no evidence for God. Was she just having a PMS day?

3. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    "I believe, because I believe...you bonehead Atheists!".

Who is the idiot?

Can I have my three minutes back?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  4. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    She has a perfect right to believe in all the gods, goddesses, fairies, sprits and elves the human mind can invent. Her claim that such things exist would carry a lot more weight if she could back up her beliefs with just one piece of verifiable evidence.

We all know that won’t happen. :tongueout:

5. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    When she's contributed as much to the world as Stephen Hawking, I will listen to her again.

6. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    You have a right to believe anything you'd like to believe, no matter how fantastical. I won't say "Boo" to you even if you shout from the rooftops " I believe in pink pegacorns". As long as you admit that there is no evidence and that your belief is based on nothing more than faith and your feelings, knock yourself out.

When you say "I know there are pink pegacorns " I'm gonna ask you for your evidence.

In either case I'm gonna privately believe your a few cans short of a six pack.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Same flawed premise that the position that there is a god is equally valid to the position that there is no god. While neither is conclusive, one is supported by all available evidence and the other is supported by no evidence at all.

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Musing:

Odd that since the brain functions on an electrical principle, that a Physicist thinks the electrical energy simply ceases to exist because we die.

Yet he subscribes to a law that "energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only changed in form. Therefore it's out there somewhere in some form. Not simply dead.

9. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Yeah, people who have no understanding of physics like to cling to that one. Life is mass and energy combined into a specific form. Both are conserved after death, but the pattern of organization that represents life is lost.

10. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Curious. What evidence supports the assertion "there is no god" or are you referring to the total lack of evidence supporting the converse?

11. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Omnipotence, omniscience and an eternal nature are all in violation of known physical laws (conservation of mass/energy, Heisenberg uncertainty and entropy respectively). Believers claim transcedence of these laws, but there is no proof for this. Therefore, there is a strong inductive (non-conclusive) case that god is not possible, but no evidence for any case (inductive or deductive) that god is.

12. Women can't speak in church but they can hold forth on the nature of the universe? That's not very Christian of her.

13. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    Ever since I saw him on a Family Guy episode my views on him have changed.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Yeah the world would be a lot better if everyone respected others beliefs, including the beliefs of the religious fanatics that are complete idiots that she mentioned. :rofl:

Having the right to your beliefs and being immune from mockery for your beliefs are two completely different things. Independent evidence is often more compelling than mere belief contained in a vacuum devoid of evidence.

Randy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  15. "Stephen Hawking is an idiot"

From an interesting argument that I saw elsewhere today:

Atheists claim they reject the supernatural and "just focus on science and rationality". Yet their worldview relies on the supernatural, so their worldview must be illogical and false. If the worldview, "there is nothing supernatural", is taken back far enough in time, you arrive at either:
    1...Nothing. Therefore you have Nothing created Something, until we wind up with Everything. This seems to be Hawking's view. This is supernatural. If this worldview is denied, then by default, you get...

2...Something (along with the mathematically precise laws of nature, mind you) had no initial cause and just happened to exist for eternity. This too is supernatural, so...

The atheistic rejection of the supernatural is illogical and false.

16. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    No, that is the Theistic point of view.

In the beginning there was nothing except for god who created everything. What created god? If there was nothing besides god, then god sprang out of nothing, to create everything.

Makes perfect sense.

17. Well, in the Bible, God said, "I am that I am". I believe that means that God had no initial cause and just existed for eternity. Supernatural? Certainly. It's not really possible for humans to fathom the Almighty.

You failed to provide any Atheist's "scientific and rational" and non-supernatural answer for where did everything come from, including the mathematically precise laws of nature, the intricate complexity of human DNA, and the immensely complicated universe. Then there are many other questions, including, but not limited to: what is the meaning of life? And how about right and wrong as a clue to the meaning of the universe? And how can we cope with suffering and death?

I'm looking forward to hearing how logical your "scientific, rational, and non-supernatural" atheistic explanations will be.

18. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Neither one of us can answer those questions. I am humble enough to say I don't know, you claim revealed knowledge. "God did it." is not an answer. You falsely claim that science says there was nothing that "bang" became everything. That is not true. Science has no comment on what was before the currently accepted theory of the big bang. Scientists do not know. That is not the same as saying it was something that came from nothing. It is not supernatural.

Science does not know all the answers, but is explaining more and more every day, expanding our knowledge of the grand universe and the interactions of the smallest particles. Religion rests on "God did it!". Which benifits the human race?

19. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, and is preferable over unsupported assertions. As I and others have pointed out multiple times, the Big Bang Theory does not explain the origins of the universe or how matter initially came to be. It only describes how the universe developed 10 ^-43 seconds after expansion started into what we see today.

I Don't Know =! God Did It

Science doesn't set out to answer philosophical and moral questions, and if you are having trouble coping with death I suggest you speak to a counselor or your pastor.