close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Steel Plate Shooting at Griffin Gun Club

Discussion in 'The Georgia Club' started by Njanear, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Just wanted to post that if you live in the South Metro Atlanta area and want to try a little Steel plate shooting, you need to check out www.GriffinSteelMatch.com (hosted at the Griffin Gun Club). They host a Steel plate shoot on the 1st Saturday of most months - it costs $15 for the first gun and an extra 5$ for a 2nd gun (limit of 2), AND kids and ladies get to shoot FREE. :cool: You shoot at 5 stages, with 5 strings of 5 plates each (they keep the best 4 strings for the final score) - see the site for the scoring.

I have only ever shot one competition before (GSSF at Canton 2 weeks ago) and really enjoyed it - while there, I met Glenn and he told me about this (which is only 22 miles from the house). How could I not try it out? Well, my 9YO and I mounted up this morning and went to give it a try with a friend. Talk about a pretty nice shoot. No rain showed up and the sun kept playing peek-a-boo behind the clouds (so it was warm but not blistering). My son was a true first-timer (had only fired a Ruger Bearcat 2 times before this try) and chose my NEOS 6in. over the Ruger MkII 5.5in. Bull. That heavy-for-him pistol wore him down by the 5th stage but he did fairly well - I am very proud of him. :supergrin: Of course, I only had 2 mags for it, so I was busy shoving the mags full of .22 ammo as he was shooting just to keep him going.

I chose to just shoot my G34 and was doing OK until the 4th stage - when I started missing targets on the 4th string and quickly noticed that my front sight was flapping in the wind (seems that the little bit of Red LocTite that I put on it was not enough :faint:). Anyhow, I finished the rest of the strings (throwing a few more shots) and then asked a fellow Glock Shooter (who happened to be the husband of Team Glock's own Randi Rogers, who was also shooting with us :cool:) if he had a sight driver I could borrow. Of course, he did have one up in his car and was kind enough to walk up the field and let me borrow it.

All in all, I need some more improvement before I get in the money BUT this was way better practice than riding all the way to Charlie Elliot and punching paper. I will be doing this every chance I get - so come on by and join them at the next shoot. It was also an honor to get to see Randi shoot (and her husband is no slouch either :wow:), and to see all types of other shooters out there (moms, kids, police officers, etc.). It was $15 well spent!!!