close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steel or brass?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ZombieTom, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ZombieTom

ZombieTom
    Expand Collapse

What type of round do you shoot at the range?

I don't see that the steel would cause any harm, in fact that's what Glock tests with.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. voyager4520

voyager4520
    Expand Collapse
    -----

Glock test-fires with aluminum-cased CCI Blazer. I personally shoot American Eagle. Steel might put a little more wear on the extractor, but probably not too much more.

Edit: I haven't seen steel cases in a Test-Fire envelope from Glock, both of mine had aluminum CCI Blazer.

#2 voyager4520, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. rca256

rca256
    Expand Collapse

Actually was wondering about that myself. I am taking a two day pistol course in May and will shoot 1000 rounds over two days. So is it worth cheap-ing out and using 165 grain CCI Blazer vice 155 grain Lawman? I also have no idea if we are going to be able to keep our own brass but I imagine that someone has to police up 20,000 assorted pistol cases. ;)

4. ZombieTom

ZombieTom
    Expand Collapse

I myself am looking to buy into a bunch of this TulAmmo.

5. rca256

rca256
    Expand Collapse

Umm.... no. And don't shoot Wolf in your AR15 either. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Before I started reloading, I shot plenty of steel-cased Golden Bear and Wolf. My Glock did not care.

#6 CitizenOfDreams, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. dodgecope89

dodgecope89
    Expand Collapse

Well as im sure you all already know aluminum cases cant be reloaded so if you reload brass is the way to go.

8. ZombieTom

ZombieTom
    Expand Collapse

I don't reload, and also I don't have AR?

I have an AK-47 that would eat any ammo like candy.

9. scrapinby

scrapinby
    Expand Collapse

I have went through about 400 rounds with no problems. I have about 700 more waiting for a trip to the range.

10. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

I know many people who have put thousands of steel cased rounds thru ARs with absolutely no ill affects.

#10 Captains1911, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  11. girphoto

girphoto
    Expand Collapse

I have shot over 1500 rds of CCI Blazer Aluminum through my G17 & G19 G4 without a single problem, NOT ONE!
    The cost is 1/2 of what my range charges for a box of light loads 115 gr 9mm by PMC.

CCI Blazer Aluminum:bluesbrothers::wavey:

12. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

I've ran a couple hundred rounds through my 19 with zero issues!!

13. hooterman

hooterman
    Expand Collapse

My Glocks love the stuff and eat it like candy. The last Glock I bought had steel casings from the test fire rounds out of the Tula Factory in Russia.

Tula has been making ammo since the 1890's and produces some of the Wolf Brand export ammo. Most of Eastern Europe shoot steel case ammo in their Glocks.

Now the bullets are Bi-Metal which are just copper washed steel or a lead core. Watch out for over penetration..:wow:

14. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse

Steel cased ammo can be a real bargain in you don't reload. The only bad thing is steel cases are often lacquered to keep the case from rusting. That lacquer can build up in the chamber over time and heat can make it sticky. It can lead to feeding and ejection problems if builds up enough. It usually takes A LOT of rounds to cause problems, but it's still something to keep in mind. With regular cleaning of the chamber, they work like a charm for range use. Some brands of steel cased ammo use a zinc or brass plating instead of lacquer, so those would be even better.

Overall I'd say I prefer brass, but I've never really had any problems with steel cased stuff either. All cheap ammo is usually dirty as heck. I have to clean my guns more with it anyway, so it doesn't make much difference to me. It usually comes down to what I can find cheap. I'd love to shoot only black hills or gold dots, but my wallet just isn't fat enough.

#14 mr_fender, Feb 1, 2011
  15. Jr.

Jr.
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I use steel, brass, or alum. Whatevers cheepest, its a glock afterall.

16. hooterman

hooterman
    Expand Collapse

Tula Ammo is not lacquer coated. Acetone, nail polish remover, cleans up the lacquer build up real fast, if any, from Brown Bear and Break Free CLP makes short work of the carbon deposits from all brands of ammunition.:supergrin:

Life is Good!

17. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

Good post. I don't shoot steel cased ammo, but there is nothing wrong with it, if you clean and maintain your gun.

18. tampashooters

tampashooters
    Expand Collapse
    Shellback

TulAmmo is cheap and dirty range ammo, but it works! I've tried the .40sw and 9mm and they both worked 100%. Is it my preferred ammo..... No, but it's great range ammo

#18 tampashooters, Feb 1, 2011
  19. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

The two spent cartridge casings that came with my NIB G-32 were brass Speer casings.

I have always shot brass cased ammo, but would also shoot aluminum. No steel for me as I don't want to put a hard metal against the extractor, even though I'm confident the Glock could handle it.

20. Dogguy

Dogguy
    Expand Collapse

Steel is okay. Aluminum is okay. Lacquer is okay. Too much being made of non-issues.

Glock in Austria tests with ammunition made there--Germany, Switzerland, wherever. The cartridge case included with Glocks are not from a "test". They are included due to some states having laws requiring a spent case to be on file for the gun.