State your opinion of your views.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Elysianarcane, Nov 13, 2012.

1. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Hmmm, not what I've seen in my testing nor the gel tests that I have seen around the net. Can more velocity cause more penetration from over expansion (petals folding back around the core of the bullet)? Sure. Most times velocity hinders penetration because of increased deformation of the projectile and the increase of resistance from retarding forces. The difference I've witnessed between the calibers was much more pronounced in the way of destruction, if you will, not penetration.

Now when you say "over penetration' do you mean it just simply penetrated more than the others? It actually takes a lot of penetration to really count as over penetration.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

You are well-educated in this discussion. Bullet overpenetration is a much-discussed topic.

3. It's like that 180 grain Underwood test tnoutdoors did. The Gold Dot completely expanded, and the petals bent all the way back with the jacket almost separating from the core. I am sure that bullet expanded past its limit, and the velocity of the Underwood load kept it driving deeper into the test media.

I have thought about what you speak of too. I often wonder how much deeper the Underwood 200 XTP will be driven as compared to the Hornady 200 grain load.

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What was the caliber - .40 S&W?

5. 10mm @1300+

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Awesome round, the 10mm.

7. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

I would guess it would drive that sucker pretty deep. As you know, the core on the XTPs are stout. Pretty much seems to me that the petals are on their own so to speak. I think the faster you drive it the petals will either try harder to lay flat giving way to some deep penetration. I wouldn't use it on people that's for certain.

8. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

You should look up the vid (180grn by TN9outdoors) on Youtube.

9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So my 115gr Hornady 9mm XTP bullets are no good for SD?

10. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oh, I'm not saying that. To be honest I don't know much about that round. Lucky for you 9mm guys you do have lots of documented street shootings to help along with ammo selection. I would personally stick to one of the common bullets in 9mm for SD purposes in big factory name loadings or Underwood. The XTPs are meant for deep penetration but are not really expansion kings. Many of the other common bullets such as the Gold Dots, HST, etc give good expansion and meet most peoples needs for minimum penetration with street cred to boot.

The reason I said that about the 10mm 200 grain XTP is because of a few reasons. One is that the XTP, again, is really a hunting bullet with tough construction. Two, it has a high sectional density at that weight. Three, the combination of these factors coupled with the higher energy levels of the 10mm, IMHO, make it unsuitable for common SD purposes. Energy is essentially the bullet's ability to do work. Although some energy is lost in the way of heat (and other things) there is plenty enough ability left to possibly make it over penetrate with the potential for deep penetration on another (inocent) target.

#50 uz2bUSMC, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

OK, I understand. :cool:

12. Yep I agree. It's my carry load for when I am hunting predators at night, as a backup to my shotgun. Our SOP states we have to carry JHP's in our off duty guns, so the XTP is to my way of thinking the next best thing to fmj rounds for penetration. By your synopsis, the UW would outpenetrate the Hornady, and I think you are right in that the expansion in the UW would not be so great in an XTP bullet. I would like to see tnoutdoors do some more tests with the XTP's.

Hopefully, I will never have to use either one on an angry bear.

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So what is UW - underwater?

14. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Yeah, I would definitely like to see that test as well. It's a bullet I would rather see tested than really try to guess what it will do at 10mm speeds. Good luck avoiding the pissed off bears!:supergrin:

15. Lol. :supergrin:

I just auggested the 200 grain XTP's over on 10mmfirearms.com.

16. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

17. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Nice! Hopefully it happens...

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So. I am considering getting a Glock 36. What do you think of your G36?