close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

State Representative Garnet Coleman Attacks Texas' Castle Doctrine Law

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by dglockster, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dglockster

dglockster

Sep 19, 2001
    Texas
    If you live in State Representative Garnet Coleman's district, please let him know you disapprove of his attack on Texas' "Castle Doctirne" law.

2. Keyhole

Keyhole

Dec 28, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not mine. Downtown Houston and south to Pearland. Good heavens...

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    They may as well debate the Texas Castle Doctrine as the Florida "stand your ground" - neither was involved in the Zimmerman/Martin case, according to the reported facts.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Jan 6, 2008
    Texas
    Bren, now of course they are not going to let things like facts and relevency get in the way of their agenda, do you? Naaaah.

5. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Jan 6, 2008
    Texas
    And Royce West, Democrat, up in Dallas is on it as well.

6. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Coleman said he understood Martin’s plight of “being born a suspect because of the color of one’s skin.” Martin was black. The man who shot him, George Zimmerman, is Hispanic.

Am I wrong or isn't this statement in and of itself, racist?

7. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Au Contraire.

As to the Zimmerman case, the MSM and the black activists want to make it a racial issue, but the real issue is whether Zimmerman pursued Martin and Martin subsequently attacked him, or Zimmerman 'Stood His Ground' and Martin attacked him without a pursuit taking place.

If Zimmerman called 911, then stood his ground as Martin approached him, the Stand Your Ground law should protect him.

If instead he chose to pursue Martin after being advised that the police were on the way, then he became the aggressor. He did not 'Stand His Ground'.

The Stand Your Ground statute is the only thing that is really relevant to the case. Which is why Florida gun owners should support Zimmerman only if he truly did stand his ground according to the letter and intent of the statute.

Otherwise, it was a bad shoot, and they should call for his arrest and prosecution.

Supporting Zimmerman if he was in the wrong is counter to the needs of gun owners, and threatens the statute far more than any cry from the left.

8. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Big Thicket, Texas
    So, in other words, the "people of color" must be involved in criminal activity or violence at a higher rate that the "people of non-color" to use Coleman's way of thinking.

yeah, we need a whole new protected class of citizens now, and special laws that protect only "Criminals of color.":upeyes:

9. Ty_Hoe

Ty_Hoe

Mar 17, 2012
    Irving, Tx
    Gonna have to get in touch with the Dem from Dallas. Coming from a smaller town to the big city, the increase in liberal thinking in ideals is blinding though. It doesnt suprise me that they are trying this.

10. TigerStripe

TigerStripe

Feb 23, 2012
    SETX
    I highly doubt that anyone is going to change Rep. Coleman's mind about the Castle Doctrine. He fought it when it was being debated in 2005, so he is using the Martin case to exert the political pressure to call for repeal.

As for Zimmerman, I'm withholding judgement until as many of the true facts surrounding the incident as possible come out.

TS