close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State police identify weapons used in sandy hook investigation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RussP, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger123

roger123

Feb 23, 2012
    VA Beach, VA
    LOL, beat me to this!

2. I don't know whether either one knew where this patch of desert I played in was. And the moon landing occurred when king Idris was still in power. And Guddafi was a lieutenant serving at some 2 mule town along the coast.

3. Of course this is not a police report. It is a press release. Big difference, and it needs to be pointed out.

As to the part about the property receipt/crime scene document describing it (them) as a magazine, I wouldn't be so sure. You should see some of the ways things get labeled when submitted into evidence.

What's done is done. The absolute worst thing you can do if trying to placate interested parties (or conspiracy theorists) is to change or re-do any public piece of information. No need to try to lobby any supervisors now. Perhaps the supervisor giving the OK to this release was not a gun guy and all magazines are "clips" to him. Perhaps the term "Clips" was used on purpose, thinking it might be a more familiar term to the general public. Perhaps some specific questions were directed to the agency from the press regarding whether or not "High Capacity" somethings were used, and this was included to address those inquiries directly. Who knows?

"Who knows" is not the hallmark result of a good press release from a law enforcement agency.

4. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Not exactly. To be a bit more precise.

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.

When I am paid to write a report, the accuracy of my assessments and the precision with which the issue is addressed is paramount to the quality of the document.

Yeah, there is a difference between a screw and a propeller but that is more than I want to get into.

The statement from the PD is clearly in error. I asked LEO's if this type of reporting is acceptable and/or commonplace.

5. Of course this is not a police report. It is a press release. Big difference, and it needs to be pointed out.

As to the part about the property receipt/crime scene document describing it (them) as a magazine, I wouldn't be so sure. You should see some of the ways things get labeled when submitted into evidence.

What's done is done. The absolute worst thing you can do if trying to placate interested parties (or conspiracy theorists) is to change or re-do any public piece of information. No need to try to lobby any supervisors now. Perhaps the supervisor giving the OK to this release was not a gun guy and all magazines are "clips" to him. Perhaps the term "Clips" was used on purpose, thinking it might be a more familiar term to the general public. Perhaps some specific questions were directed to the agency from the press regarding whether or not "High Capacity" somethings were used, and this was included to address those inquiries directly. Who knows?

"Who knows" is not the hallmark result of a good press release from a law enforcement agency.

6. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Aug 5, 2012
    When you watch the video of the police pulling the long gun out of the car trunk it is obviously not an AR. You can see the officer pulling back on the bolt handle which is on the side. The charging handle on an AR is on the rear.

7. EdTracker

Oct 26, 2002
    Agreed gommer! Colloquialisms are not professional.

Magazines are not clips and clips are not magazines.

I have searched my Oxford American College Dictionary, yeah that 1600 page plus paper one that people used to keep on the shelf, and it doesn't equate a clip to a magazine.

I only have one actual paper dictionary but searching five other internet "dictionary's" I couldn't find another to agree with the free internet edition of the Myriam Webster Dictionary definition of "clip".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  8. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Oh you folks with the linguistic fetishes, Hhahhaha I could tell you about the time a police 'spokesman" got flustered and mixed up the words "perpetrator" and "penetrator"

9. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Feb 22, 2001
    Dragon44
    I have always thought that the sound came from the grassy knoll. The final shot came from the storm sewer in front of the grassey knoll.

10. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    Maybe they are going by the dictionary definition and not the gun nut definition.

clip noun
    Definition of CLIP

: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
    : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :upeyes: I'm going to have to get my eyes checked. I very plainly saw a tactical carbine removed from the trunk of Lanza's car. (Yes, I know the difference between a tactical carbine, and an Izhmash shotgun.) Something really stinks about this one! :freak:

12. Did you hear bout the newspaper article that described Lt McMurphey as "A Defective on the Police Force"? He demanded a retraction. The next day the newspaper admitted their mistake and printed a correction, which described Lt Mc Murphey as "A Detective on the Police Farce".

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Funny, because my Websters Unabridged Dictionary shows "Clip" second definition see "cartridge clip" and that gives the definition we all call a magazine. Copyright 1994

They are the same thing in most peoples minds. In fact, the first I've ever heard of this nonsense of getting all righteous over one being one thing or other is on the internets.

Nobody in reality gives a poop one way or the other.

14. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    You better get them checked then, it is clearly not an AR.

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Yep, better get the peepers checked out. Cuz you didn't see that.

16. The writer obviously is not a gun guy then. And neither was the supervisor who approved the release. Or, as I said in my post above, maybe it was used intentionally, thinking that the majority of people view magazines as "clips. Of course that dictionary is listing the term because it is commonly used that way.

(Sorry for the double post by the way. When I hit submit it prompted me to log on again and I did and hit submit again). I have too many things going on.

17. The Maggy

The Maggy

Dec 24, 2008
    Stillwater, OK
    Unless your state legally defines high capacity as anything over ten rounds.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. EdTracker

Oct 26, 2002
    G36's Rule

"Funny, because my Websters Unabridged Dictionary shows "Clip" second definition see "cartridge clip" and that gives the definition we all call a magazine. Copyright 1994"

cartridge clip is a stripper clip. Not the same thing at all.

I am curious though, could you post the definition?

19. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

What I want to know is whether the weapons used in the Sandy Hook Shooting are in fact the same weapons used in the Sandy Hook Investigation?

Not into conspiracy theory, just pointing out that besides using the term High capacity when 30 rounds is standard and using the term clip when magazine is correct, identifying the weapons used in the investigation is not what was meant to be conveyed. The intent was to identify the weapons used in the shooting.​

20. I mentioned this in post #33. Where it is defined by law or specifically mentioned in the nomenclature having to do with the weapon.

Does anything in Connecticut State Law define a 30 round magazine, (which is standard for any AR type rifle) as a high capacity magazine? I haven't done a search, so I don't know. If this is the case and my comment is proven to be ignorant of the facts, then I will stand corrected.

The only reason I thought it was noteworthy is because the term "high capacity" is a hot button word for the anti's and it will certainly be used in any gun control arguments revolving around the Sandy Hook incident. To use it as a needless adjective would infer an ignorance of the weapon being described. Put this together with the other descriptors (clips) and you reach your own conclusions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.