Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

State of emergency/terrorist incident PHOTO ID BADGES?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by emt1581, Jan 11, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Tonight at drill my capt. informs us all that there will be a photographer coming to take out pics for photo ID badges.

I asked why I need photo ID badges when I have a station membership card as well as an EMS ID/badge from the state.

She said it's so that in case of a terrorist incident or state of emergecy, I can have clearence to get into the scene.

Anyone heard of this before?

2. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Jan 8, 2003
    Zombie Patrol
    Where I work FT and PT we have Photo ID's issued by the county. One is as a County Paramedic, the other is as a Town Firefighter. In states of emergency this ID allows me to go pretty much where I want when I want. IE our county was closed yast year for about five days after the Hurricane hit. There was a checkpoint just before the far side of the bridge, and unless you worked for NC Power, were a cop, a firefighter or a medic, you didn't get in. Then every town had a checkpoint to keep those that didn't evacuate from being able to loot, etc.

Over all, they are a pretty good idea.

3. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

Apr 29, 2003
    Ferrum, VA
    Same here - All Public Safety (Fire / EMS) personnel are required to have a County Public Safety Picture ID Card/Tag.

The same reasoning was given - these will be our "All Access Pass" in the event of "The Big One".
  4. TerraMedicX

Sep 26, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Yup...about the same here. Our county just issued these, but they're taking it a step further. Now on ALL Fire/EMS scenes in the county if you do not have one of these visible, you can be thrown off scene. I'm not sure why they're going quite that far, but I guess it works.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    As for why they are doing it, I've heard it's because of what happened on 9/11.

People were coming out of the woodwork with fake badges (NYPD, EMS, NYFD, etc) and claiming to be who they were not just to feel important I guess.

Anywho...this is what I was you don't want a terrorist poking around the scene now do you?;b

6. This is most deffinately a terrorist related issue. I work security in a Nuke plant and at the main gate we have photo ID's of all the potential responders to our place. If your pic aint there you don't get access...
  7. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

Jan 4, 1999
    It is for scene control and a good idea for security and safety purposes.