close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

State’s Attorney requests a probe of the NIUPD after a judges ruling

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
  2. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    They just made it a felony here to purposely not disclose discovery.

But this is ridiculous. Sounds like they just wanted an excuse to get rid of the officer.

3. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Jesus H YouKnowWho..

Damn, whether its legally required or not to disclose exculpatory evidence from a disciplinary standpoint, I would argue the officer damn well deserves the same benefits afforded a common criminal.

However in this case, to not disclose the exculpatory evidence to prosecutors when the officer is facing a felony charge is unconscionable, and WAY beyond the pale. I always thought that was required by law, although I'm probably thinking of the prosecutors having to disclose exculpatory evidence to the defense. I suppose I actually have no idea if the police are required to pass on exculpatory evidence to the prosecution. Color me astonished that this would occur. :dunno:

This officer just got a thin blue brick from that supposed wall shoved up his ass.

Randy

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. :rofl: I'm adopting that one. :rofl:

5. This is the first I am hearing about this and it is the next county over from me. There have been stories about how that department is run but I dont know anything first hand. At this point I wouldn't want to work there.

6. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    That chief is done. If the officer had sex on duty they could have easily fired him. Of course the article makes no mention of that. If he was off duty I can see the chief hanging onto that to get the officer fired.

If you can't pull that **** with a regular Joe then you can't do it with a cop.

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I'd have been a great speechwriter... Speeches you'd love to give, but couldn't.. :rofl:

While the admin's actions are reprehensible (holding back evidence), regardless of other circumstances, I have to wonder as someone else said that they must have been looking for an excuse to fire the guy. That said, bet there's more to the story that we're not privy to. Every time there's an article out there designed to elicit outrage, there's almost always way more to the story that's NOT presented, and some artistic license being used on the facts that ARE presented.

So maybe the guy deserved to get fired, but no way in hell they should be hiding exculpatory evidence, if for no other reason than they're hanging the prosecutors office out to dry to look like a fool if he decides to fight this and that comes out. That's never a good thing for relations with the DAs office.

Randy

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  8. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    Yeah, then crazy stuff happens like the DA's office asking the state police to investigate your department.

I've heard lots of things about "campus cops" and how the administration treats the officers like their knaves on their private fiefdom. To attempt to prosecute someone for something that may be a disciplinary matter at best is ridiculous even by those standards.

9. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    You can say that again. I was in a class with a couple of their guys a few years ago, and I feel downright pity for them. Their patrol fleet is entirely Prius's. Long gun options consist of a single shotgun housed at the PD, that their Chief never allows to be touched. He's been quoted as saying that he'd take away all their handguns too, if state law (for public universities) didn't require them to carry. Chief is one of those guys that walks around in full dress blues every day, with a bunch of ribbons and awards that he gave himself apparently (since nobody else knows where they came from). I am not making this stuff up.

From their website (if the image links shows up below):
    wait for it...
    [​IMG]

10. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    I feel bad for what happened to the cop, it's truly awful, but I do not feel bad for the cop. In a few years he'll be able to buy his own university. I would wager that since this article hit the press, Chicago lawyers are beating down his door.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    If the simple facts are as stated, then the Chief should burn. You cannot do that to someone (even if you hate like them) and expect to get good people to do good work.

Chief sounds like a liberal professor, not professional law enforcement.

12. Just had one of assistant state's attorney's quit here and go there to become a patrol officer. I'm not sure what he was thinking but he did it.

13. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
    Northern Illinois University’s police chief was put on paid leave today and banned indefinitely from the police department. This is Grady’s third leave since he became police chief. Grady will continue to draw his salary of about $206,000 a year while he is on leave.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ations-in-department-20121110,0,3546380.story

(Look at the picture of this guy. How many award bars does he have?)

14. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
  15. Makes you think doesn't it? How many people "voluntarily" took a position on this force? And many probably did so knowing full well the implications of taking that job.

I'd say that most of the officers there most likely agree with the chief. They are free to leave correct?

Oh well

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007
  17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Flush the turd.

And that scumbag Lt. who acted as his little toady minion.

I hope that guy is able to live comfortably with the money he gets from the university. If they're smart, they'll start the settlement negotiations by saying, "how many zeros?"

18. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, with a PD that small at a mid-size University.

19. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Probably all of them, looking for the first LE job they could find.

Probably not. How often would a Chief tell you he is a wackjob? How often has an interviewer told you the company was a total mess?

Do you really believe that? Never mind. :faint:

Like anyone else trying to pay bills, and have retirement income, in a field which is very difficult to get into.

I will bet, that with the possibility of another national AWB, they will still get at least one more round in their magazines than kenpoprofessor, and I bet it will chap him for a week to think about that. :wavey: