close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Starting Load for Montana Gold 180gr w/VV320

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Special Reserve, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Special Reserve

Special Reserve

Hi, I'm looking for a starting load.
    I've got some Montana gold 180gr FMJ bullets and I'd like to know if anyone has a good load to start with. I'll be shooting these from a stock Glock27 & 23. Everything I read says not to us 180gr w/vv320. But I have found a ton of people using it but not out of a barrel so short as I plan too. The VV reloading manual lists a 180gr LTC Fiocchi bullet. I'm relatively new to reloading so I'd like to keep an my fingers. They list the starting load as 3.5 with a max of 4.1.
    Thanks

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

So ask those that are using it what load they are using and adjust accordingly for your short barrel provided you stay with the listed range would be my suggestion.:upeyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

3. Special Reserve

Special Reserve

Most of the people I saw using it were using 5.0g or higher. They were all using longer barrels too. Just wondered if anyone had the same combo I had. VV's starting charge was considerable lower. I'm just using it for plinking. Not looking for anything to wild.

4. D. Manley

D. Manley

N-320 is going to be just fine for range loads and matter of fact, I like it quite a lot in .40. It's a little too quick for full power loads regardless of your barrel length. I like 3.9 / 4.0 grains under 180 grain Ranier FP bullets, shoots nicely with good groups. Do a little searching over at Brian Enos site in the .40 caliber sub-forum.

5. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

n320 seems to be a bit under rated for some reason. A bit pricey, but it meters great, burns even better. I have loaded it in many flavors of 9mm and even a light .38 range load with a low SD, and it is a sweet, consistent,clean powder. It's one of my favorites for Sunday go to Range'n time. MOst of my most accurate standard pressure loads are done with n320.