close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Started a MP5SD build Have questions......

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 01coltcolt, Nov 5, 2011.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I have a MP5K PDW clone and a MP5N clone that I have put together over the years. I am really happy with them. Recently after a long talk with Jeff (Ghilliebear) I managed with his suggestions to change out the locking piece to a RCM 100 degree and swap the bolt head for a RCM, the PDW is running flawlessly. My MP5N has always been 100%.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I am going to venture into new territory. Ive been wanting to put together a MP5SD clone for a long time. Today I bought this MP5SD clone receiver that is barreled and finished already. I have around $780.00 in it. With the help of Adam @ HKParts | Heckler & Koch Genuine Parts - HKPARTS.NET am hoping to finish this off rather quickly. As soon as the reciever arrives Ill get the Form 1 submited and start populating parts. The questions I have are about the silencer. I would like to fire it unsurpressed with regular ammo. That being said.......Who makes a fake can that will thread on so I can fire the gun? Also who makes a real can for a MP5SD? I figure Ill use a fake can and a 100 degree locking peice and it will run unsurpressed like a champ.

Are there any details, words of advice, things I need to be aware of with the SD platform before I get started? I am hoping to keep this one under $2K with a fake can, and $200 dollar stamp. Thank you guys in advance for your help in this project. I keep you posted on the progress.
    Colt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My goal is this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

So I sat down and figured up the cost. Here is what I have so far:
    Here is what I have researched for the build $$$
    1. MP5SD barreled upper from BMP $835.00
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257801686
    2. Converted Semi SEF Lower from RTG $280.00
    http://www.robertrtg.com/hk94semiautofcg.html
    3. POF A3 collapsible stock from RTG $215.00
    http://www.robertrtg.com/pofmp5collapsiblestock.html
    4. US Made (RCM) and German MP5/94 Bolt group $480.00
    http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-94-Bolt-Group-US-German-HK-90p2201.htm
    5. MP5 Stock push pin $6.00
    http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-Butt-Stock-Push-Pin-5p76.htm
    6. Fake silencer to seal holes in barrel $XXXX?
    http://www.rdts.com/HKMP5SD.html
    7. BATF Form 1 tax stamp $200.00

Total should be $2016.00 plus the Fake can. I have to call RDTS monday for a price quote. I included shipping and transfer fee in my calculations.
    What were the Coharie Arms MP5SDs selling for? the way I figure it, I will have a better product by doing it my self, with the parts list Ive came up with. Any suggestions, thoughts?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

3. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    Colt I have long wondered how you have all them awesome weapons , are you like Delta Force or something like that ? Your collection is amazing.

4. argy1182

argy1182

Apr 4, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sweet project. I have nothing of value to offer you, but that looks awesome.

5. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Nothing special here. I enjoy building guns. So I always get excited about new projects.
    I found a real silencer for it for fairly cheap:
    http://www.black-market-parts.com/All-MP5-Parts_c_33.html

6. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Jan 17, 2001
    On the road
    Only help I can offer would be to offer my services when you are testing it. Looks like a fun build.

7. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Nov 23, 2008
    owensboro KY
    For a silencer any brand should fit as long as the threads match. Usually on sub guns people will have a short but fat can on the thing. One of my friends is a class 3 dealer and has his SOT and whatever else it takes to buy and sell cool stuff. He's really good friends with the guy that owns SAS suppressors, and that guy builds custom ones all the time for people. I hope somebody can give you better advice than me. I don't think I've ever seen a mp5 other than one of those gsg5's. You should call this guy named major malfunction (if you search his name, his website should come up). From what I hear, he knows his stuff!!

8. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I wish it took a normal supressor. The SD version has holes at the rear of the barrel like a compensator. The supressor is designed to be internal or some what intergrated. Check out the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Well so far I ordered the
    Upper $800.00 + $35.00 shipping/transfer
    Semi Auto clipped and pinned lower $282.22 shipped
    Complete BCG, return spring and stock push pin $479.89 shipped
    A2 fixed stock $55.00

Still need
    All thats left is the fake can from RDTS I estimate $200.00
    and the Form 1 tax stamp $200.00
    This brings the total to: $2052.11 for a MP5SD Clone extremely excited but $52.11 over set budget.:faint:

10. ScrappyDoo

Jan 16, 2010
    Well Colt I believe in credit where credit is due , those are some awesome automatic weapons!! In NJ we basically have the worst laws in the union, and also basically copied the AWB. So we can't do no NFA stuff here, no autos no SBR no suppressors.

Which is ashame because I really would save up for a top top top of the line AR for SBR and Suppressing.

On another note - not that ou asked , but I have some MP5 experience...about $250 worth at The Gun Store on my first trip to Vegas and ALOT of time money and mags worth of ammo on my second trip lol ... I really really like the look feel and use of the 'full' stock on the Mp5 , and can't do that sliding small stock. You like it. ?

For Me it would be the actual stock or an MP5PK on a sling like a MS2 for hanging in front of me. But I'm curious since you e got so many of these WhAt your thoughts are thx sir

11. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Im with you I perfer the A2 fixed stock. I am putting one on this SD project. I have a collapsing MP5F stock on one and my MP5K PDW has the correct folder. They work but are a bit akward at first.
    This is what I will be shooting for with this build:
    [​IMG]

12. I wonder did Brugger & Thomet make that stock?

13. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

B&T makes the top of the line stuff, probably the best on the market. But this was made by HK contracted under Choate.

14. ScrappyDoo

Jan 16, 2010
    Yeah bro that thing is sweeeeeet. If I had followed a childhood dream to the USNA so I could be a Teams officer , I would have carried an MP5 just like the one you've pictured- except with more picatinny rails of cours :)

15. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Nov 23, 2008
    owensboro KY
    Man tomorrow I'll call my buddy up and see what he say. I see what you're talking about!! That's a real pisser that it's built like that but I'm sure there's something out there.

16. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Hey if they are willing to do a custom fake can I will pay good and then some!

17. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Nov 23, 2008
    owensboro KY

I don't know if you're a member of silencertalk.com but sas suppressors get pretty good reviews. I'm getting the guy to make me a few different cans and it's really hard to get ahold of the guy. My friend shoots with him sometimes and knows him. I forgot his name, but he's a cool guy that knows what he's talking about. It seems like you could thread the end of the barrel and just make the can come all the way down and cover that up some how. I could be wayyy wrong because I've never seen a barrel like that but I'm sure that I can get you some info. Now I'm curious, and want to know for my own personal knowledge. So I'll try and find something out for you!!!

18. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Nov 23, 2008
    owensboro KY
    His suppressors are pretty cheap compared to some of the others out there and they sound really good. His warranty is really good too.

19. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Thanks Bro.
    Here is a picture of the barrel not installed.
    [​IMG]