close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Standard Weight For 40 S&W Self Defense Round...

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by ArrowJ, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ArrowJ

ArrowJ
    Expand Collapse

Is there a general consensus on the best wight for a self defense load in 40 S&W? Is there a weight that a Glock 22 shots better or is sighted in for with factory sights?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

arrow, if there was a consensus, there wouldn't be a section in Glock Talk called Caliber Corner...:supergrin:

The single most common .40 load remains the 180 grain subsonic, normally carried in one of the premium brands with high tech bullets. A close second in popularity is the 165 grain at about 1140 foot-seconds. The "minus-P" 165 grain subsonic has not worked out well and has fallen into well-deserved oblivion. US Border Patrol had great luck with the 155 grain .40 at 1200 foot-seconds as a manstopper, but went to the 180 grain subsonic because (supposedly) it kicked less than the 155 grain hot loads and was easier on the guns.

Personally, full-speed 155-165 grain loads are my choice. But, as noted above, there is no consensus.

best,
    Mas

3. ArrowJ

ArrowJ
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Consensus related to self defense calibers, what was I thinking! LOL

From what you are saying I may just go with a 357 Sig (my first choice). I was interested in loading the 40 S&W with 135 grain Nosler JHP in an attempt to duplicate the Double Tap load, but as the 135 grain projectile did not even get a mention perhaps I better stick with my first choice!

The 357 Sig was my first choice, but cheaper component prices, along with availability and a slightly less involved reloading process had me looking at the 40 S&W. I certainly am not interested in a 180 grain load, but I might be able to convince myself to go with the 155.

Thank you again for your time!