close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Standard pressure vs. +P

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Metal Angel, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Mas, thank you for your participation in this forum. Your shared knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated!

My question is not so much "which is better?" as I think we all can agree a quality load in +P will be at least slightly more effective. My question is, do you think there is a significant disadvantage to practicing with standard pressure and then carrying +P? I do practice a little with +P, but the main reason I went with 9mm in the first place is because it is more cost effective to practice with. Shooting +P loads at the range defeats that advantage very quickly.

Do you think there is any advantage to carrying standard pressure loads, just to have the same recoil characteristics as practice ammo? I currently carry Gold Dots in 124 +P. the recoil difference is not massive, but it is noticeable.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Practice with lighter loads will keep you familiar with the snub .38 and make you a better shooter with it, but you still want to be acclimating yourself to street load recoil as much as possible. If you're not a reloader, Speer Lawman 158 grain +P full metal jacket is functionally identical to the popular FBI load (Chicago load, Metro load) that many prefer for carry, and is fairly reasonable in price.

best,
    Mas