close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Standard 1911 safety with left hand...?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Metal Angel, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    How do you work the safety on a standard non-ambi 1911 when using left hand only?

2. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    I recently purchased my first 1911 (a Colt Delta Elite) and since I'm a left handed shooter I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I usually end up using my right hand to reach across and operate the safety. I'm installing an ambidextrous safety on my gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Use your left thumb to cross over and flick off the safety lever. This technique works well with non-beavertail grip safety.

4. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    My opinion:
    Ideally, a left handed shooter should not carry a non-ambi 1911 for self defense cocked and locked. It is quicker to rack a round than manipulate the safety. Aftermarket ambi safeties are the way to go.

5. m14fan

m14fan

Jan 20, 2012
    mississippi
    Depends on holster.I had a holster I could pop the safety off as I drew,but you had better be careful doing that.It's best to add an ambi safety.

6. I agree with this...it's not impossible to do...or even real hard to do but I don't trust being able to do it when stressed...no issue with an ambi-safety in my experience...

Bill

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    If you're going to equip your pistol with an ambi safety then make sure you get a good one from a good manufacturer that is well known for making ambi safety where the right side doesn't work loose.

8. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    You don't.

If you are thinking about using a 1911 for CCW you will need an ambidextrous safety. All mine have them. You can buy one but it will need to be fitted. Not hard to do if you know how.

Standard 1911 for range shooting you just shoot it form slide lock to slide lock. It is very easy for lefty to release the slide by using trigger finger.

If you are carrying a 1911 then condition three fastest and safest. (empty chamber). You just draw and rack slide with right hand.