close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stainless Steel Tumbler and Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by squirreld, Nov 10, 2012.

1. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    Do you have to pop out the old primer before doing the whole wet thing?

I would imagine a lot moisture would be stuck in the primer/primer pocket once cleaned.
    One inch from decap and resize is new primer on a progressive. I would imagine that moisture may be an issue.

Unless you dried the snot out of the brass once cleaned?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Decap before wet tumbling. The primer will keep moisture and crap in the primer pocket.

3. sessumrd

sessumrd

Aug 25, 2009
    I've done it both ways and haven't had any problems. The only thing I do differently if I don't decap, is to make sure they have sufficient time to dry. I have even put them in the oven at 140 degrees for an hour or so to help expedite the drying time.

4. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    I would like to NOT decap.
    Another step is simply that, another step.

5. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Then dry tumble. Unless you are selling the ammo shining up your ammo like factory new is a waste.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I think that your defeating the point of moving to to wet/SS tumbling by not decapping. The whole point is to get them clean everywhere inside and out, primer pockets included. Decapping will also accelerate the drying process allowing air to pass through.

7. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    My thoughts exactly. Why go to the trouble of wet tumbling if you're not going to get its full effect????

I have had issues with primers sticking after washing cases that haven't been deprimed. Haven't broken a decapping pin because of it, but they do get very stubborn sometimes. I've assumed that some sort of di-electric potential has caused the primer to "weld" to the case in this situation.

Again, I wouldn't waste the time to wet tumble without decapping first. If I'm too pressed to decap, then I don't have time to fuss around with the wet tumbler either.

There are times when I'd like to wet tumble when I use the vibrator because I'm in a hurry.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    ^^^THis^^^
    By not decapping, you risk moisture in the primer pocket & don;t clean the pocket, one of the only reasosn to wet tumble IMO. To each his own, but I would decap, why I don't wet tumble. I would consider it for my rifle rounds, I don't shoot nearly as much rifle as pistol & I only load 2 rifle calibers on a progressive.:dunno:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Here's a free tip - do a final rinse in HOT water. It'll catch those last few "clingon" pins and the hot water will make the brass dry faster.