close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stack-on reloading benches???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mike g35, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Hello, I am getting ready to start reloading and I know what press I want to use (the RCBS rock chucker kit) and what I need for loading. But what I am having a hard time with is the bench. I have seen some Stack-On benches in a mail order catalog and I was wanted to know if they were any good. Are they? And if not then what should I do? I have a 2' x 3' area to work in.

2. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Still waiting for an opinion on this. I don't want to waste my money so any help will be greatly appreciated.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I don't think you are being ignored. I just don't think anyone has one, or if they did, they didn't see your post yet. Most build their own benches.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Build a bench out of wood.

On a different note.

With the list of guns you have, you don't already reload? And your going to start with a single stage. You should consider that you will probably out grow that rock chucker pretty fast and want a Dillon. All your shooting buddies have one, so you don't want to be left out.

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    With the list he's got, he'll outgrow the SS in a week.

6. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I think everyone needs to load at least 200,000 rounds on a single stage before progressing to a turret or progressive press.:whistling:

7. dukeguy

dukeguy

Jul 15, 2010
  8. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Liberals! Where do they get these crazy ideas?

9. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Not even close. I can not stand liberals.That was about what I loaded on a SS before I bought a progressive. Why? because other than a Star that was about all there was for a press. That was a joke I would not wish that on anyone.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'd also recommend the Finley bench.

If you have a few basic tools (a drill and a saw).. You'll build a rock solid bench in no time. Figure out the dimensions you want, then buy the plywood, and have Lowes/Home Depot cut it for you.

A cheap circular saw will go a long way to cutting the 2x4's.

It's really very easy.

11. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I saw the Stack On benches in a Cabela's catalog. They look wonderful. I've got a 2x4 Basix bench that I hate and am looking to replace. I think the Stack On will be the one for the time being.

12. ImpeachObama

ImpeachObama Fuhgettaboutit

Dec 31, 2010
    Fuhgettaboutit
    Like you, I'm cramped for space. I saw elsewhere that someone used a Black and Decker workmate. This is one of the better units, I don't remember the model number but cost around $100 or so. It's sturdy for the application. I used 3/4 MDF, but under the loader I added a second piece. I would recommend doing two full layers of 3/4 underneath if I were to do it again. The sides and shelf were spec'd out just for my needs. A friend of mine had a hole saw bit the size of the plastic bins you see counter sunk into the top which made it nice. Threw some paint on it and called it a day. I'm using the Dillon 550 and love it. I have die sets for a bunch of different calibers. This is probably one of the more popular units being used today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    I couldn't agree more. I always recommend to start with at least a Lee classic turret. With the list of guns you have and shooting competition I would be looking at a Dillon.

14. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH

Very nice set up! Any issues with full length sizing rifle brass?

My set up is similar in size, roughly a 2 ft by 2 ft top with a 1 inch over hang on 3 sides. The 2 x 4 frame is bolted to the filing cabinet as well as the wall behind it, table leg under the press in direct contact with the floor to prevent flexing, lots of storage in the cabinet.

If you have more room, maybe a two filing cabinet set up? Just a thought.

sig357fan

View attachment 218568

15. ImpeachObama

Dec 31, 2010
    Fuhgettaboutit
    That's pretty nifty 357. Speaking of, I bought my first recently, a G33 and love it. I haven't done rifle yet and probably won't for awhile. I don't get to shoot my Sig 556 rifle very often to make a big deal out of it. Too many people live all around me and I'm sure I'll hit something or someone.

16. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    All the pictures have been a great help. And I have already decided to buy a Dillon Precision and not even mess with the SS I shoot to much for that. Thanks guys.

17. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Just take your time and load safe. You can run them them trough one at a time until you get the hang of it.

I just noticed your location. I'm arond 80 miles north.

18. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Yup, the guys here have been a big help, and were instrumental in my selection of the Dillon RL 550B rig you see here:

[​IMG]

I originally purchased a Lee LCT, and was going to acquire bits and pieces a little at a time, hoping to finally have a complete reloading rig by the time the winter came around. It's been too hot to do anything much outside here in Texas.

Long story short, I returned the Lee setup the blue rig. Best of luck to you!

19. ImpeachObama

Dec 31, 2010
    Fuhgettaboutit
    I was told over and over that I should start with a Dillon 550 instead of the big dawg 650. Now that I've been loading, I am glad I did. Manual indexing is important for someone to start out, makes you think constantly about what your doing and it is easier to deal with going back to a stage if you messed something up. Speed is not the goal here. No distractions whatsoever and take your time. Focus.