close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

St. Augustine, 2013 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

So, for those who shot today, how'd it go?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Pretty reasonable for a first time. I walked in about 2:00 to register and was in the mid-500's numbers. It could be a big one. Not enough help today for all the set-ups they had.

WP

#2 willie_pete, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. wlkjr

wlkjr
    Expand Collapse

Check your score sheet before you initial it. One of mine didn't have all my shots on it and I wasn't paying attention. My bad.

4. James5m

James5m
    Expand Collapse

Cancel

#4 James5m, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I had that happen last year in Orlando, and it cost me some $. I plan to pay more attention to detail on the score sheets. If you find a discrepancy (like shots/hits not adding up to the right number), it's got to be dealt with at the match, or missing hits are counted as misses.

6. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I just loaded 32 mags in preparation for shooting tomorrow.

7. wlkjr

wlkjr
    Expand Collapse

I reckon I should recognize then.:wow:

8. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

huh? This way, I don't have to load mags at the match unless they have a practice plate rack or I have to do any reshoots.

I'm pretty sure for some of the regulars, loading 30 mags would be a good start on their match mags prep.

9. ede

ede
    Expand Collapse
    Bama's Friend

I load over 90 mags for my six and wife's three divisions. Last few matches I've got her to gage check ammo.

10. whiskey_moodz

whiskey_moodz
    Expand Collapse

For my first time I had a great time, learned a lot from watching others and how to prepare for the next event.

11. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I pre-registered Tuesday, IIRC, this past week and got registration #'s in the mid 300s.

I arrived in St. Augustine just about noon today, and though there weren't visible lines of waiting shooters, it still took about 3 hours to get through the stages.

Seems like a very nice range, well suited for GSSF. I think the only real room for improvement would be more ROs with more GSSF RO experience. At least at one stage, starting position was not well enforced, and I watched a shooter shoot all his strings from "high ready"...i.e. he probably wasn't looking through the sights at a target until the buzzer, but there was barely any difference in his starting position and shooting position.

12. wlkjr

wlkjr
    Expand Collapse

Not trying to be critical, but it seemed it was the first time for some of the RO's. Our first stages on Sat. morning, we were not given the Standby command. When questioned, we were told that they were told not to give Standby. Later on that seemed to have changed. Overall it was good, but as with most things, experience helps. I think matches at new venues should be given a little more training.

13. ede

ede
    Expand Collapse
    Bama's Friend

If I don't get stand by command I don't start.

14. willie_pete

willie_pete
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I RO'd both days. Saw entry number 640, don't know how many more after that. I won't be volunteering to RO there any more. Not enough people and those they did have , they didn't manage well. I RO'd one stage ( plates) for 6 hours and no break and they wouldn't let me snag some brass that I had been stepping on all day.

WP

15. willie_pete

willie_pete
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Not true. They went over the commands on the Sat. RO meeting. Standby was included.

WP

16. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Anytime you have a match at a new location, it's a pretty good bet that most of the ROs will be new to GSSF. That's unavoidable.

17. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Was the range claiming all left brass? Being able to collect brass is one of my motivations for RO'ing.

18. wlkjr

wlkjr
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure it was a misunderstanding by a couple of new ROs. It is specifically stated in the Rules for the ROs that Standby is "the final warning to the competitor that shooting is imminent."
    I think Glock should do a better job of making sure there are enough ROs at each match, post signs about pasting targets. Most new shooters don't understand the process as I didn't three months ago. There were additional people from GA and SC that ended up volunteering. Again, not being critical of the Ancient City people. I don't think any new venues know what all is required to make it run smoothly.
    As an aside comment, I had the privilege of watching James Linebarger shoot two stages and spoke with him briefly. He was really a nice guy and not full of himself.
    We overheard a couple of guys talking about how easy and close all the targets looked and how they could shoot them blindfolded. Didn't have to use many pasters on their targets.:rofl:

19. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Oh...and my big "Doh!" for the day...I was so preoccupied with paying attention to the hits numbers adding up properly (after getting hosed with a 10s penalty on a scorekeeper's error my previous match), that I didn't notice nobody was marking pistol/division on my sheets for M or 5-to-Glock...so I don't know which sheets are for which divisions...so I can't tally my scores.

Note to self...do that yourself in the future.

20. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751
    Expand Collapse
    5 or 6 rounds?

That is the respective gun club's job to get the RO's to volunteer not GSSF's issue.

For my match at Dawsonville, I made up signs posted at each bay to asking the shooters waiting to help paste targets. I had one of my RO's who was doing the squadding, handing out pasters as the shooter X'ed their name off the sheet. By doing this their bay was turning an entry every five minutes. So there was little wait for the shooters.

So if a shooter wants to finish the match quicker, he/she needs step up and help paste targets and reset steel.

#20 Roadkill_751, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013