close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ssd!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bucknasty, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JimmyN

JimmyN

Sep 29, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't have any experience with the hybrid drives, and I don't know anyone that is currently using a hybrid.

If you want really fast try two SSD's in a RAID 0 striped setup. One of my game system configurations was two Intel 520's in a RAID 0 for a 240gig system drive. Boots in 6~7 seconds, shuts down in about 3 seconds. POST takes longer than it does for Windows to boot. Awesome fast, and even better when supplemented with a ramdrive for temp and cache files, as a ramdrive is more than 20 times faster than even an SSD.

DO, and I repeat DO maintain daily system images if you run two SSD's in a stripe, but that applies whether it's a mechanical drive or solid state. If either drive fails all is lost..... resulting in many cries of woe, a gnashing of teeth, and grown men openly weeping upon discovering their most recent backup is 6 months old.

2. joe0121

joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Disable the swap file. My system has 16 gigs of memory. Once you get over 6 the swap becomes very pointless.

3. joe0121

joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    I ran Raid 0 on to 60 gigs for a while. INSANE fast. I switched to Ubuntu 12.10 so I switched to a raid 1.

Not really necessary to do a daily image in a raid 0. I would invest in a cloud drive like drop box. I have like 120 gigs for ten bucks a month. Do a weakly image back up, easily set up in windows this will capture all your OS setting and installed apps (a better idea is using portable apps and a usb 3.0 drive). Systems setting don't change that often and when they do having to re download your desktop background isn't that annoying. Important files should get back up on a cloud drive or raid protected internal drive. I like using a cloud because the files I need most often are available EVERYWHERE. That and if my house burns to the ground there is no amount of raid protection that will save your files.

4. joe0121

joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Hybrid drives IMO are a waste. They provide very little real world performance increase.