Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bucknasty, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bucknasty

Feb 13, 2011
    Hey guys building a new desktop and I'm really flirting with getting an SSD. However I'm terrified of the lifespan. I've read several conflicting arguments so I'd like to hear some first hand experience. I'm just wanting to use it as a boot drive keeping my games and files and such on a hdd.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  2. JimmyN

Sep 29, 2006
    So far I have purchased 16 SSD drives to put into new system builds.

Six were Corsair Force 3 drives, two of those failed within a month. The RMA replacements and the other 4 are still working fine.
    10 were Intel 520's, and all of those are still working great, the oldest is about 9~10 months.

That's my experience so far with actual usage.

3. Bucknasty

Feb 13, 2011
    Well from reading reviews on newegg, a year seems to be the lifespan of several of the drives I looked at. For $100 or better that's not gonna cut it for me.

4. Here are the statistics from my machine. The SSD contains the operating system (Win7), swap file, and a few disk speed critical applications.

Power on hours: 3500 (or 5 months)
    Total host reads: 3.5TB
    Total host writes: 7.5TB
    SSD life left: 100%

The SSD is Kingston HyperX 3K (the one with the cheaper 3000 cycles memory).
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    I like OCZ SSD's good price for the money.

Second SSD use less power and create less heat.

now as to life span.

An SSD is basically non volatile memory (Giant SD card) which is billions of tiny transistors that store either a 1 or a zero. These capacitors have a limited number of times they can be written.

This leads to the Idea that SSD's don't last long.

Let me ease your mind by bringing up two points.
    First the mean time before failure on SSD as a general rule is 5 years or more. and that's if you are running heavy IO.

SSD typically go bad over a longer period of time where as HDD are more likely to have a catastrophic failure. You are more likely to have data loss on an HDD than an SSD

If you are still worried some things you can do.

1 if you run windows make sure disk fragmentation is disabled (windows may or may not do it on it's own) Fragmentation doesn't matter on SSD's so it is a waste of needless read/writes.

Don't use an SSD to store lots of data that will get read and more importantly written a lot. Use an HDD for storing music/video etc. Us an SSD for the OS.

Also lets not forget a HDD is a bunch of discs spinning around at 5400 =-15000 RPMS with read write heads hovering over them held up only by a cushion of air provided by the spinning disk. Bearing goes out in the spindle = game over. Read/write head crash becuase of vibration = game over.

SSD's have no moving parts and have built in methods the balance IO operations on individual capacitors to increase life span.

A lot more info here:
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. Bucknasty

Feb 13, 2011
    That helps ease my mind. I've been really lucky with my hdds, only replacing them because of upgrades. So if I were to kill the paging and the fragmenting and all the other things generally recommended, I should be ok as long as I'm saving all data to hdd.

7. joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Correct. That is how I am set up. I'd watch Tiger Direct. The OCZ will occasionally go on sale for 60 bucks. An SSD at 1 dollar per gig is a no brainer. 60 gig is just enough for Windows and programs to fit on and leave about 20-ish gigs of breathing room. What I did was use a USB 3.0 thumb disk plugged into a USB 3.0 port and installe most of my apps on the thumb drive with

You can make USB 3.0 perform better by allowing write cahce But if you do this YOU MUST SAFELY REMOVE THE DRIVE or you will lose data.

There are also some registry setting you can do but I wont post them because modifying the windows registry is a scary thing and you can easily huff your OS.

Portable apps is really pretty awesome and I would use it even if you dont go the SSD route.
  8. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    The hard disk has been the bottleneck in my system for YEARS. I'm close to finally getting an SSD myself.
  9. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've used SSD's for years and they are the biggest improvement since dual core processors. I the difference is night and day, you won't believe you waited so long. Set up properly they will last for years. Keep in mind while reading consumer reviews those who write them are either enthusiasts or had problems, more people with problems speak out than those who don't.

I'm currently using a Crucial M4 and love it. My other choice would be a Samsung 830.
  10. srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Just use the built in Windows backup to make system images. If the drive fails you can RMA it and be right back where you were without having to reinstall anything.
  11. Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    For those in the market for an SSD, keep in mind. Sometimes their normal prices for computer stuff is equal or better than Tiger or Eggnog.. :)

[ame=""] ocz solid state drives[/ame]
  12. Are all ssd drives 2.5"? If I replace my regular 3.5" hd with ssd its ok to use the smaller size?

13. joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Amazon prime FTW!

For the Op
    [ame=""] OCZ Technology 128GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 120K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty - VTX4-25SAT3-128G: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@[/ame]

Less than $1/Gig.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  14. joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Most come with a tray to convert it. But yes all SSD are a 2.5 inch form factor.
  15. Bucknasty

Feb 13, 2011
    The 830 64gb is on newegg for $40 right now. Just picked one up and love it so far.
  16. wheelsoffreedom76

Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  17. handyman

Aug 3, 2008
    Just some info if you use the system discs you made, the hdd has to be the same size or larger.
  18. joe0121

Nov 12, 2012
    Itoyed with the idea of a software raid array of USB drives. in the end it was cheaper to go SSD as the fast PCEi USB cards that supported 3.0 where $$$$$. I have about four bootable USB drives in my tool bag I use for work. Very handy. Micro center had a sell on 64 gig USB 3.0 a while back. Once a week I use clone zilla and clone my home OS to the thumb drive. Nice you carry your OS around in your pocket.
  19. GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Running an SSD under windows 7 for about a year, no issues. Just the o/s on it, moved the swap file to my hard drive. System boots in about 20 seconds.
  20. AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    How about the hybrid drives, how reliable are those?