close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sr-556

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by runandgun7, Dec 29, 2010.

1. runandgun7

runandgun7

Jul 30, 2010
    NH
    I can get a Ruger SR-556 New for $975. It is from the factory and is cheaper because it has a blemish or some thing small like that. What do you think is it a good deal?
    Thanks

2. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    If that's a gun you like, and the blemish is a non-functional one, that's a great price. I was looking at getting one and the retail street price is about $1500 with the MSRP just under 2K. If it turns out you don't like it, you could probably get what you have in it. I liked the feel of the handguards being a little longer.

3. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    No sweat. Let us know what you end up doing.

4. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    $975 is a good price since NIB Rugers sell for about $1500? Blemishes are long forgotten after a hard days use or one run through a carbine course.

I am not a fan of the Ruger SR556 for my own deal breaker reasons but if that the gun you are hot for...get it and enjoy it!

5. runandgun7

runandgun7

Jul 30, 2010
    NH
    mixflip

Just wondering why you are not a fan of the SR556? I am just trying to see the gun from all points of view.
    Thanks

6. That they have propietary handguards killed my interest on that rifle, also that wire by the gas plug seems to be prone to problems too. For $975 I would get it anyway. :whistling:

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    From what I understand the piston system is complex and difficult to maintain. That would turn some people away. However, being a little longer than a regular carbine, they do have a really good feel. And they come with Ruger branded Troys.

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Since you asked here is a little write up on the SR556 that points out the deal breakers for me. I still feel its a great gun to own so dont let the write up scare you off if you can get the gun at under a $1000. My wants and needs are going to be different than the next guys so take my opinion of the gun with a grain of salt. I am no expert.

http://www.gunsandgearreview.com/2010/11/why-i-passed-on-ruger-sr556_26.html

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I'd get a Stag or get an AA conversion before I bought a Ruger piston upper

10. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan

It is no more complex than any other piston ar system. A NIB SR556 with a little scratch is a STEAL. Buy it. Buy it now!!