close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Squib round removal

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by NMG26, Mar 17, 2012.

1. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Had a squib today in a Sp101 revolver.

I tried using a wooden dowel but it just spintered on the JHP and made the problem worse.

The dug the wood out and tried a thin metal rod centered on the JHP, but I can't get too solid of a hit on it. It is not budging.

If it was a removable barrel I could press it out. I guess maybe a gun smith could do that?

I could make a sleeve and drill a hole in the bullet, but I am not sure that will help?

Anyone know how to remove a squib from a revolver?

2. DIXIE DUCK

DIXIE DUCK

Nov 18, 2005
    Florida
    I pounded one squib load out of a 38 S&W with an aluminum rod and it worked out. It was a very scary incedent however, I was supervising my 13 year old cousin shooting the gun
    (it was his) and noticed his 3rd round sounded much different than the other two, I screamed at him to stop shooting and nearly tackled him before he got the 4th off. I'm glad I was there because who knows what would have happened if he had fired another behind it.

3. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Do not under any circumstances try in any way shape or form to "drill" the bullet for removal. Your method with the wooden dowel would work fine with a lead bullet. They are easily removed. With a jacketed bullet you have a serious problem. Take your revolver to a good gun smith. He will have the experience and tools necessary to remove the stuck bullet without risking damage to the bore of your revolver. The cost in labor will be far less than having to replace your barrel due to damage from attempts to remove the bullet.

If the squib is the result of your own or someone else's handloaded ammunition, there is nothing much that can be done except to break down the remaining ammo and recycle the components. If the squib is from a factory load, contact the manufacturer as they will most assuredly want to know of the problem. As well, they will certainly take responsibility for the cost of fixing your revolver. A similar situation happened to one of my church members. He was using very old Remington ammunition loaded with lead bullets. He stuck not one but four bullets in his barrel. Remington paid the cost to replace the revolver as well as replacing his two boxes of ammunition.

4. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Jan 7, 2001
    Plano, Texas, Republic of
    They make caliber-specific brass rods for removing barrel obstructions, but if you don't have one, a hardwood dowel closest to the bore size (11/32 is close) and a hammer.

Hardwood won't fracture as much as soft pine.
    If that doesn't work, try a cleaning rod, again one that fits the hole and a jag, but as most rods are aluminum these days and hollow they tend to not trasnfer force well.

Good luck.

5. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Read somewhere that you can put it in the freezer for and hour and that helps.........I'm skeptical.

I'm going to try letting it soak in CLP all night, and see if that loosens it up.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Tap it out with a rod(preferably brass). You had the right idea, just didn't hit it hard enough.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I carry a 1/4 inch brass rod in my range box to knock out stuck bullets. Works every time.

Factory squib loads aren't all that uncommon now days.

I drill new students pretty throughly on squib loads sticking a bullet in the barrel.

8. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    If you're in ABQ, Charlie's or Los Ranchos.

9. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Florida
    That's brilliant. Lead expands more when heated, so this could work.

ETA: As a rough approximation, modeling the bullet as pure lead, freezing it would reduce the pressure on the barrel by almost 700 psi. Depending on how stuck the round is, this could make all the difference (or none at all).

10. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Are you saying four bullets stuck one behind another?

I had a squib in a CX4 the other day. It was my friend's gun and his hand loads, 9mm. I fired about 10 or so rounds and then one sounded different and was hot on my right hand. I honestly didn't know what to think. I thought maybe it was just a light load. I cleared the chamber and a loaded cartridge ejected... I thought "oh well, must have cycled fine" so I dropped the action, aimed down sites, started to squeeze the trigger, and then stopped and laid the gun on the bench. The owner of the gun walked over and asked if there was something wrong. I said, maybe. He pulled it apart and found a bullet lodged half way down the barrel. I don't know what would have happened if I had pulled the trigger again.

11. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I've carried a Monadnock D-Jammer in my range bag for years, handy for this and all sorts of other uses. even works as a kubotan!

12. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Feb 21, 2010
    Kansas
    That looks like a handy tool to have, have to check out the price. Thanks

13. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I paid 8 or 10 bucks for mine, but I ordered it directly from Massad Ayoob's company about 15 years ago.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

14. TonyT

TonyT

Mar 14, 2009
    I never us wood dowels as they do splinter particularly with jacketed bullet removal. I purchased some brass rod of various diameters which provide nice fits in the various calibers I shoot.

15. I use brass rods. I have used a 1/4" drive 6" extension to knock out lead .45acp squibs in an emergency. Not my idea but the gunsmith/pistol owner's request.tom.

16. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
    If you tightly tape up the end of the wooden dowel it will help prevent it from splitting.

17. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Well I ended up putting the gun in the freezer for about an hour and half.

I was using a 1/4 in metal rod on the core and it pushed the lead right out of the Jacket!

Then I had some delrin that I could put on the Jacket and pounded it out with a wooden dowel without destroying the wood.

Went out in a wind storm and shot the rest of my build, and it worked great.

Thanks to all for the education!

18. HK Dan

HK Dan

Mar 27, 2008
    Arredondo makes a fiberglass squib tool that works brilliantly. It's under $10 and is available through Midway. Being a USPSA/IDPA guy, I see squibs all the time, so this was a no-brainer for me. Saved a lot of guy's matches over the years! Main thing? Don't sweat the load. It's not that serious--you avoided the serious part by not firing another round.

Get your squib rod and hold the gun and the rod, tight against the bullet, in one hand. Gently tap the rod and the gun down on a solid surface. You should feel it move right away with minimal force.

I can't believe that someone suggested going to a gunsmith--must be one...<g>

Dan

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    The incident described involved a Ruger Security-Six revolver. The church member was walking down a narrow fire break and blundered on a large rattle snake at about maybe 3-4 feet. His first found discharged normally but impacted high probably due to his being excited. His next four rounds were squibs. He only had five rounds loaded as he was misinformed and thought that he had to carry a revolver with a empty chamber under the hammer.

20. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009