close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Square deal b or 550 b

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by B_RAD, Oct 26, 2010.

1. B_RAD

B_RAD

2. edward5759

edward5759 old fart

Do you ever reload for a Rifle?
    If yes get the 550

The square deal used non-standard dies and is for handgun only. :wow:

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

If you're only loading pistol and a little more speed is important and you don't mind the "Square deal only dies," then the SDB is a deal. These reasons are obviously why it isn't as popular as the 550b, but it still has it's place as a great press.

If I only reloaded a few calibers and really wanted that auto indexing, I'd consider a SDB, but I opted for the 550b, and really like it.

4. XDRoX

XDRoX

Welcome to the forum:wavey:

5. goatroper2000

goatroper2000

You also may want to check your price, the price you have on the 550 is without dies.

6. fredj338

fredj338

I'm not sure the SDB is any faster than a 550B. The 550B does come w/ one caliber conversion, no dies though. The ability to use cheaper Lee dies is a slight advantage. The more robust construction is a slight advantage. IMO, auto indexing is a slight advantage for the SDB, but it's smaller size & operating window, Dillon only dies & no rifle calibers or 357sig are slight disadvantages.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yeah, I agree w/ the above.. there's a bigger price difference than $10.

If the SDB used standard dies, I'd get it.. unfortunately, if for some reason Dillon stopped production on SDB stuff.. you're stuck.... Not saying they will, just saying it could happen. I don't load rifle, and really have no intention of loading rifle.. so I could make a SDB work..

IGF

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

One or two handgun only calibers the SDB is a great machine for an easy production rate of 400-500 an hour.

If looking as possibly loading rife or shouldered handgun look for the 550.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:wavey:

Watch out for that GioaJack guy... ;)

IGF

10. fredj338

fredj338

I had no intention of going to Africa or owning a buffalo rifle, but it happens. I had no intention of ever reloading bottle neck pistol rounds or wildcat rounds but it happened. The SBD will limit you. As long as you are ok with that, then buy one. The 550B is expandable, you can load just about anything you can get a shell plate for.

11. Boxerglocker

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

I have both (along with a 650, 1050 & a Lee 1000), ALL have a place. I usually suggest that a beginner start with a 550, as it can be used like a turret press, loading 1 round at a time to gain experience.
    ALSO, if you have large hands, the SDB is a real bear, it's physical size is much smaller than most "normal" presses.

uncle albert

13. Boxerglocker

I have no idea how/why everyone comes to this conclusion. I'm not a little guy, have XL size hands and have no problems loading on a SDB. My normal session load rate is 300 in about 40-45 minutes but have timed my max rate at over 450-500 a couple of times and that's not being reckless but looking inside every case and checking powder drops at 100 rounds as I reload the primer feeder. It's all about ergonomics to me, a strongmount, bullet tray and well placed elevated empty case bin make it a snap.

14. ColdShot

ColdShot

I would not buy any machine that was proprietary like a SDB,plus it looks really small
    for the hands area

550 gets the vote

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Which is good, because you'll want to order a set of Lee carbide dies for that - using Dillon dies has never even crossed my mind.

You can't use the Lee dies in a square deal B, far as I know.

If the 550 was $100 more, I'd still go 550. If I couldn't afford the 550, I'd buy another brand, instead of the SDB.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I own a 550. But If I knew what I know now when I bought it I would have gone with the LNL instead. They are both good presses but the LNL AP has an upgrade path with its case feeder. The 550 has a case feeder but it doesn't do rifle rounds and has issues with the 40sw.
    I personally wouldn't buy a square deal new because its proprietary and you are limited on what you can load on it. I had no intention of loading rifle rounds when I bought my 550. But now I load 223 and will be loading 30-06 soon.

17. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Indy
    There are two kinds of loaders, those that load rifle and those that will load rifle. :whistling:

Bob :supergrin:

Bob

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

But, personally, I've never seen a need to load rifle on a progressive press. If I load rifle rounds it's for accuracy and involves hand weighing each powder charge and being as precise as possible with OAL, etc. I guess if you load .223 in bulk to save money it makes sense, but I've never done that.

19. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

You will eventually have both, or more. So just get what you can afford right now, and be happy with it :supergrin:

By the way, that 550b for $379 does not even come with the conversion kit, plus you still need to buy the dies. So you're looking about $500 for the 550b.

GlockMonk

PS: If you're a rookie reloader, then get the SDB, as most of the die settings are already done at the factory for you.

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I don't know were he found a 550 for $379. They are normally a little over $400 and they come with a conversion kit at that price. Conversion kit includes the powder die, powder funnel and buttons. You still need the dies which are from $30 and up.