close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Springy EMP vs STI Duty One vs Colt New Agent vs ???

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by TXGlock21Man, Jan 31, 2013.

1. I am looking for a new 1911 style carry pistol. So far I am interested in the Springfield EMP, Colt New Agent/Defender, STI Duty One and potentially a Kimber Ultra CDP II....what are your thoughts on these choices? Anything I have missed that I should consider?

2. I do like the ECO, for some reason I thought you mentioned a CCO on 1911fourm. It is certainly the priciest out of the ones mentioned...I will add it to my list to check out, thanks.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    What caliber are you wanting?
    EMP available in 9 & 40 only

Of your listed options, the STI is the best choice.

4. I am not really focused on a specific caliber, I have each caliber in my collection now, so I am familiar with each...I am leaning towards 9mm as I think it will be more controllable in a lightweight carry package.

I like the STI, it is made in Texas and I love the way it looks, minus the front cocking serrations. I haven't been able to find any for sale though, none on gunsamerica or gunbroker.

5. snatiep

snatiep

Dec 23, 2011
    I've got the Colt Defender in 9mm. I love it and it's a pleasure to shoot and carry! Beautiful pistol.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    If you are leaning toward 9mm, the EMP is outstanding!
    Springfield's warranty is about as good as it gets.

7. That is where I am leaning right now, followed by the Colt Defender and New Agent, then the Kimber. I just can't locate any STI Duty One pistols and the Dan Wesson ECO is real nice, but a little out of my price range.

8. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    You,can add a few hundred on top of the EMP & get the ECO.
    But,.....you can play that game all the way to a full custom build $5k pistol.

9. NoJoy

NoJoy

May 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Have you tried http://www.Brazoscustom.com

Don't know if they have the Duty One in stock, but they do sell 10% below retail if that means anything. I really like the bull barrel look of the Duty One. Hard Chrome would be sweet too. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I like the EMP, but would take the STI out of what you mentioned.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    My Colt 9mm Defender; with Novak sights as opposed to the New Agent with the trench sight, shoots nicely with a really crisp trigger - rather surprising for a stainless steel Colt. However, it does not seem to like hollowpoints. Granted I've only tried to feed it Cor-Bon 115-gr JHP +P and no other hollowpoints but it choked like a mofo. The same ammo went through a SW6906 and Beretta M9 like crap through a goose.

12. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Try Golden Sabers in it,......bet it will run like a top!

13. Soldiernurse

Soldiernurse

Jan 28, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    EMP9 ... Love mine! Very east to conceal. Very accurate!

14. Personally, I don't care for 3" 1911s. So that rules out the EMP. Although it is a nice gun.

I have SA, STI, DW in my collection, so I can tell you from personal experiences. Out of your list, STI, hands down.

Love my Duty Ones (45ACP and 9mm).

[​IMG]

Here's the 9mm top end on a 2011 lower.

[​IMG]

15. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I would go for one of the Colts, but I have never seen a Colt that I don't like :rofl: I have the Colt Defender in .45.

16. I love the look of those STIs...very nice!

I ended up getting a Colt New Agent with XS Big Dot sights...I really like this little pistol and how it feels. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet with Super Bowl and this and that...but soon!

Here is picture of her...

[​IMG]

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Like I mentioned in the other related thread, had I known about that Talo edition New Agent, I would have asked my gun shop for it instead of the regular Colt Defender. The carbon steel Colts just seem to be better finished.

18. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have the EMP 40 and I love it! Very easy to conceal and it's still one of my favorite pistols to bring to the range.