close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Springfield XDm 3.8" .45 ACP Compact

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by G33Man, Dec 4, 2011.

1. G33Man

G33Man

Mar 13, 2004
    I will start out with a 3 letter word. WOW! This is not only a well thought out gun, but a well thought out package.

The package is brilliant. It comes with the pistol, a match grade barrel, an excellent case, 2 mags (9 round flush mount and 13 round extended), a holster, a double mag carrier, a mag loader, 3 sizes of back straps, and 3 sizes of grip extenders (to match the back strap size you select so there isn't a gap). I think the larger capacity mag is a huge bonus.We all know that the grip is the tough part in CCing....but who cares if the back up mag is larger.....it is just as easy to conceal.

I hit a local indoor range today and put 140 rounds thru it. I ended up shooting 100 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ and 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot HP.....all in 230 gr.

Impressions:

1) Soft shooter...very controllable for a shorter frame.

2) I shot equally as well with the flush mount 9 round mag as I did with the 13 round extended grip mag.

3) Accurate....I was able to shoot several "one ragged hole" Shoot-N-C targets at 30 feet.

4) Comfortable......I switched out the medium back strap for the small and it felt perfect.

5) Reliable....not very many rounds (140) but no issues at all.

6) Attractive looking gun

I would recommend this weapon to anyone who likes the .45 ACP round. I think it will be a big seller.

Flush mount mag on left and full cap mag with grip extender on right:
    [​IMG]

2. twisty

twisty

Dec 28, 2010
    I am a huge fan of the XDm. I have the 4.5 inch 9mm XDm and it is a great shooting gun and I have really been wanting one in the 3.8 length for a more convenient carry size. My 9mm is terrific, I can only imagine a soft shooting .45 version is even better.

3. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    I think this will be my first Pistol in 2012.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    It will be very successful. One wonders if the old XDs will be dropped at some point. The XDms are nicer and there is too much overlap.

I just wish they were 3 oz lighter.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I agree with everything the OP said except the "attractive" part. I believe that type of gun (polymer, striker firerd, generic....beater if you will) is like beer. Its nice if you have the taste for it, but when they try to make it taste good(or in this case, try to make it look good), becomes gaggable. Not to say it should be a deal breaker, I just wish they would have stayed with the XD type pistols for their new innovations...oh...and ditched the "springfield" name. Those croation pistols are fantastic pistols that are every bit as good as a Glock or an MP, but they are not springfields.

6. I was sorely tempted when I called my LGS last week and he says, "Just got two in. I'm asking $599". And the Springfield mag special was still on.

I took my Glock 30 to the range instead. I might have made a mistake.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. I'm wondering what you long time Glock users think of the grip safety on the XDm?

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I was initially very against it but have softened my stance a bit. It actually makes IWB reholstering safer as long as you are sure to keep your hand off it. Still prefer a hammer design for the safest reholstering.

9. Yup, want one. I love the longslide compact/extended mag concept similar to the sr9c.

10. G33Man

G33Man

Mar 13, 2004
    You bring up a good point. What I find interesting is there is a pant load of threads over the various gun forums discussing it's pros and cons. Many folks go on and on about what an evil it is yet I never see the same attitude (or volume of responses) when discussing a 1911...which has the same basic grip safety feature. :supergrin:

11. What is your opinion?

12. Wow, I was thinking Glock 36 as i want a .45 ACP CC pistol..but this also seems VERY interesting..$503 is a bit steep for me but maybe a used one or something I should look out for in a 1/2 a year or so...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. G33Man

G33Man

Mar 13, 2004
    Not an opinoin.....but...I put 25K+ rounds thru an older XD 9mm including 6-7 shooting courses.....rolling around in dirt, mud, water and dust......never an issue with the grip safety. I beat the heck out of that gun.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  14. G33Man, how about an update? How many rounds now? Any issues?

15. Badger54

Badger54 CLM

Dec 16, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I am a Glock guy and never warmed to the XD I always thought they looked top heavy. But last week I was on glocktalk and I saw an add for a bi-tone XDm 3.8 45acp that looked interesting. I researched it for a couple days and then went and took a look at one at a LGS. I finally decided to order one and give it a try the only draw back I am finding is the lack of available holsters specifically for that model.

16. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Feb 11, 2012
    Houston
    One of the reasons I chose Glock over Springfield when I bought my first semi was the reputation Glock has for long term durability, and the fact that they are known to shoot just as good as brand new after being abused and neglected. Not that I plan to ever abuse or neglect my Glock, but durability and reliability is something I look for in a gun. After safety and accuracy.

From reading in these forums I am starting to get the impression that Glock may have made some changes in the manufacturing process of their guns that may be great for them ($$$$), but may hurt the customer in the long run. For example, it is believed by some of my well informed gun enthusiast friends that Glock is no longer treating their guns with tenifer (if that's how you spell it). I saw pictures posted from a "torture test" of a G26 Gen 4 that a guy performed on his own. After being left exposed to the elements for a week, buried under dirt and mud and rained on, there was a considerable amount of rust on the gun, especially the barrel.

Now obviously I am not going to be burying my gun and letting it get rained on, but it is still something that took my opinion of Glock from "perfection" to "almost perfect". Also it makes me wonder just what other changes they have made that aren't so obvious. I need a gun that will shoot no matter how "F'd up" of a situation I may find myself in.

These Springfield XDM's look very enticing. I shot an XD once a few years back an loved it. I have a Glock 26 Gen 4 and a G23 Gen 3. My .45 ACP that I will be getting this year, might just be made by Springfield instead of Glock. Still haven't decided and the Glock 21 is so far the most fun gun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.

17. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Have you shot the 3.3 XDS? Its a 45acp single stack.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWTitj5kO6Q"]shooting the new XDS at Discount Firearms and Ammo in Las Vegas - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  18. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Feb 11, 2012
    Houston
    Can't say that I have. Sure looks like fun though