close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Springfield XD(s) is off my list now

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Beanie-Bean, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Finally saw one in-person today, and had it in my grubby little paws.

1. It's pretty thin, much like the S&W Shield.
    2. The overall footprint from the side view is bigger than I anticipated.
    3. The F/O sight up front is nice, but I would prefer a Tritium night sight if this will be a carry pistol.

For the $539 the shop was asking, I'll pass. G20 & G29 Gen4 models are higher on the priority list.

If you don't have a smaller .45, like a G30 or G39, I would recommend having a look at the XD(s)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    It's a great piece. Y'all can see my write up and pics in a thread I started on it. The 7 round mags are ridiculously long however.

3. thinblueline90

thinblueline90 Always Watching

May 22, 2012
    I just don't care for the feel of a XD. It could be because I'm VERY partial to Glock, but XD's just don't impress me.

4. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    I've never been impressed by the XDs. They feel clunky, top heavy, like the Ruger P-series. I'm not a big of any pistol sporting a superfluous grip safety anyway.

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I read your threads when you got yours...thanks for putting that up for us.

I'm running into the same thing with the Shield--the 8-round magazines make the grip extremely long. For me, the issue with concealment is not how thick the gun is, but rather, how long the grip is.

I like the feel of the XD(s) but already have some .45 handguns about that size. If I only had G21/G37/1911/P220, then I would get one of those in a heartbeat. For me, the size was just too close to the small Glock .45s I have.

The width on that thing is impressive, I must say. All the reviews I've read and seen over on the XDTalk site, and on YouTube had me searching high and low and calling everywhere to try and get one. I still have two on pre-order, too! If I ever get a call from those guys, and I already have the new 10mm Gen4 pistols in the safe, then I may take them up and fill out the paperwork to take the XD(s) home...:supergrin:

Enjoy your XD(s) nugget!

6. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    I have had a chance to handle one, but not shoot one. It is very close to the size of a Kel Tec PF9. I compared the two side by side and other ways. Almost the same. I hope to get one when they are available. 9mm and .40 are on the way also.

7. Dan Glock

Dan Glock

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm really digging the XDs! I think it's great gun great carry and will replace my shield once I get a buyer. And will most definitely get it in the 9mm as well :)

8. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

Feb 15, 2008
    South-central 907
    I just got mine for $499 out the door. I'll give it a chance as it feels fine in my XL glove wearing hands.

I do prefer Glock's but now that my small time LGS can't get new ones, and internet stores feel the need to over charge to ship any gun to Alaska means that I'll be looking at other gun makers.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I own XDs and GLOCKs. It may come as a surprise the XDS feels more GLOCK like than XD like. Sure, it still has the grip safety, but internally the trigger action is more GLOCK like as well.

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Wow, you saw one in a local shop? Shops around here can't get one, so I had to overpay on Gun-makeyou-broker. No regrets though. I got it when I wanted it. :dunno:

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I have the G30 (main CCW), and I got the XDS as a smaller alternative, mostly for pocket carry when the need arises. The XDS is much slimmer and smaller.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I haven't handled one yet.

I'm not much of a small pistol guy though.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The XDs has WAY better ergos than the G30 or G36!

14. Dan Glock

Dan Glock

Nov 24, 2011
    Fo Sho!

15. sharkbait22

sharkbait22

Nov 20, 2011
    Rockledge, FL
    If I could put the glock trigger system inside my Kahr cw45 I would have invented my ideal carry .45 I love my Kahr but that damn trigger reset kills it. Better yet put a DA/SA mechanism in the Kahr. That would be sweet.

16. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Feb 23, 2007
    Texas
    For you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

Feb 15, 2008
    South-central 907
    I walked in to buy some fishing gear that I needed. And saw it just sitting in the case. So it was a impulse buy as I am really in the market for a 22 bolt gun and pistol. Like I said before it feels really great in my big ca-lopper paws much better than the LC9, Shield, Nano. I'll try get the pics and a rudimentary range report up hopefully tomorrow.

18. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Dec 22, 2002
    Somewhere in Oregon
    For most.

19. ive wanted a small .45 for a few years now I think the XDs will be it. The small fat glocks dont do it fro me with their horrid grips. The 36 is good im guessing cause its slimmer probably...BUT I cant even find a USED one for a decent price(aka less than a new XDs which ive seen for near $500 but never seen a USED Glock 36 for less than that) so it leaves me with 3 on the list the XDs,Used Glock 36 in the $450 range(never found one), or the Taurus Mil Pro 145..they seem to be the only 3 that suit my needs..

20. cal45

cal45

Jan 21, 2001
    Orlando, Florida
    I also had the chance to handle one and after looking it's size over, while much thinner than my G30SF - it's OA height and length is not that much diff (G30 w/the 9 rd mag). I am looking for a smaller .45ACP pistol to carry when size matters (I do not consider any .45GAP as a true .45ACP since my purpose is to stay with the same ammo I carry in my G30). For this reason I have begun looking at the Kahr PM45. They had some growing pains when they first came out a few years ago but the more recent reviews have been favorable.