close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Springfield Range Officer or Ruger SR1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by NCWalrus, May 4, 2012.

1. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

Apr 1, 2012
    I am currently shopping for my first 1911 and have it narrowed down to these two

Both are available in my area at relatively the same price ($720 vs $750)

That being said, which 1911 would you recommend? It will not be carried or used for competitions.

Thanks for your advice

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    If the prices are that close, go with the Springfield.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I've never seen an SR 1911 in person so I cant say anything about it, I sure love the hell out of my RO though:thumbsup:

4. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

Jan 17, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I haven't shot either of them, but have handled them. If prices were similar I'd jump on the Springfield. I was able to take one apart for a customer, and was amazed at how well built it was. Sure that doesn't sound like much seeing as how I carry a Rock Island, but the RO just great. Though I'm not trying to take anything away from the Ruger, it felt great when I saw it at a gun show last year(still kicking my ass for not buying it). But to me, you can't go wrong with the RO.
    -Joel

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    NCW here is a pic to make your mouth water:tongueout:
    [​IMG]

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I own both of the guns you are asking about.

The Springfield is fully forged and robust. The Ruger comes with some whacky spring rates and not fully fitted parts.

I'm not saying the Ruger is a bad gun. But, the Springfield is smooth, has excellent customer service, and is 100% in the function department.

The Ruger is a good gun. If you only own one 1911, you'd do well to have it be a Springfield.

7. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    That's a tough call. The Ruger is a gun that I'd love to own someday but the Springfield still has a spot on my list too. I don't think you could go far wrong with either gun but I'd have to give a slight edge to S.A., JMHO, YMMV.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I thought that the Range Officer was closer to a thousand bucks?

Anyway, if the prices are similar, I'd go with the Springfield. I'd take IMBEL forged frame over Ruger's cast frame.

9. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Mark at Summit Gun Broker did have em' for $749 but he's currently out of stock.
    http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Range_Officer.html
    Price will probably go up when he gets a new shipment.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I'd have to pick the Springer,......but I HATE the target rear sight!

11. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I have to look at it this way: other than Ruger casting the plunger tube (for the safety and slide stop plungers) as a part of the frame they really didn't bring anything new to the 1911 table. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Ruger but Springfield has been making 1911s for a long time and making some pretty impressive ones at that. I also think that a lot of the Ruger sales are going to Ruger fanboys and to 1911 fans who collect "makes" of 1911. From all reports Ruger is making a great 1911 but you get your choice of how many models with how many options?

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Like I said above, the advantage Ruger would have over the Springfield is cost. When you take that away, there is really no reason to choose the Ruger.

I love the SR1911, but the RO is simply better.

13. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    :agree:, I havent shot the Ruger but the RO is really nice, pretty good for out the box for around 700

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V2eFMBe1P0"]Springfield 1911 Range Officer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fw5-blpE3s"]GunsAmerica TV/Blog - Springfield Range Officer - Rob Leatham - YouTube[/ame]

:50cal:

14. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    One has adjustable target sights and the other fixed, but if that's not important to you go with the Springfield. Great 1911.

15. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Go with the RO. And that isn't because of posts 2 and 3.

16. OrygunGen4

OrygunGen4

Jan 13, 2011
    Oregon
    What Bac said!!:supergrin:

17. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I have never had but one Ruger firearm that I didn't have a problem with.
    Redhawks that would shoot loose, MKIII's that would stove pipe like crazy. 9mm, and .45 autos that wouldn't group to save their lives.

The good Ruger is a nearly 20 year old 22/45.

I have however had three Springfields that never posed much of a problem at all.
    I wouldn't buy a Ruger 1911 unless it was cheap and used.

18. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks to everyones advice

I will most likely opt for the RO

Thank you

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I just want to say that Springfield doesn't make squat. They import the guns and parts from IMBEL of Brazil.

I own many Ruger wheelguns and rifles. They were good for the price, but I don't know if Ruger is "all that" when it comes to true quality, especially with the fit & finish. I'll reserve my judgment until I see an SR1911 in real life. Heaven knows their Mattel Toys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

20. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

The "NM" serialed Sprinfields are imported as rough forgings and completely "built" in the US.