close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield Professional / just not diggin it

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by R0CKETMAN, Jan 10, 2011.

1. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    I got a new Pro and ran a few mags through it in order to see more how it felt rather than accuracy. I just can't get used to the lack of a relief cut in the front strap.

I communicated with the custom shop and all they could do was a "Colt" relief which was not to my liking. I have a Baer Custom Carry which fits my hand like a custom glove and would like the same feel from the Pro.

So,
    1. Sell the pro and get either a SRP or perhaps a Wilson Ultralight Carry.
    2. Send it off to a smith to have the relief cut and re black T.

I like the pistol, but I'm not in love with it due to the ergos.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome and appreciated. Thanks RM

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. asiparks

asiparks

Sep 17, 2006
    Portland. OR
    Do the undercut done the way you want , but I'd refinish in melonite/isonite/antrite, as a) it's cheaper than Black T, b) it wears much, much better. The only caveat being that if there's anything else you'd want to change, do it before the refinish as once it's done, you're pretty much stuck with it....

3. jedi573

jedi573

May 31, 2006
    Midwest
    I'm one of those guys who thinks how a gun feels in the hand is one of the most important things in a tool like that.

Professionals have a good resale value. That value would likely go down quite a bit if you had its front strap changed like that. The cost and wait time to have it cut and refinished would be considerable.

If you already have a gun that fits your hand well, I'd keep using that.

My two cents! :)

Andy

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    Sell it and get something you want.

5. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Sell it and get a Baer, Wilson or something from a SACS. Never understood why SA doesn't change this.

6. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    With the addicts that frequent this place....your Pro won't last long if you sell it.

7. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    the baer cut has ruined me to my other guns. i really really prefer it.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I guess I didn't know there were different cuts, got pics to show the difference:headscratch::dunno::supergrin:

9. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    SA cannot change this if they wanted to on the Pro. It is an FBI spec/contract pistol. They only way it could be changed would be if the FBI changed the spec for their build. I, too, like the high grip cut, but don't find it to be a deal breaker for the Pro. If I am having a pistol built, I will have it done with the high grip cut. I say send the Pro off, have the cut done and have it refinished. They are a super pistol......

10. USAF 94535

USAF 94535

Dec 7, 2010
    Travis AFB
    i was never a fan of springfield except for the trp. the wilson is a great choice. les and ed are as well. and nothing compares to the extravagance and number 1 1911 of all time the one and only rock island.

juuuuuuuust kidding.

11. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    If you like the TRP, you would LOVE the Professional.....:)

12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I don't like the TRP so I guess I won't like the Pro. :tongueout:

13. mes228

mes228

Dec 23, 2006
    Virginia
    I've been carrying and shooting my Spring. Pro pretty much exclusively since November, trying to like it better than my Baer. I have the Monolith Heavy Hard Chrome and love the thing. The Mono has a better trigger and the Baer cut does change the ergos. I don't know how to verbalize why I like the Mono. The whole package just "feels different" and is "easier" to be really accurate with. However, in harsh conditions or combat the Pro may well be the better ticket. I absolutely love the trigger on the Mono. I've owned 1911's that cost MUCH MUCH more than the LB Mono Hvy and were full customs. Nothing has delivered more than the Mono though. It's thus far still my favorite 1911. I will be keep carrying the Pro. Don't get me wrong I really like the Pro - I just like the Mono better at the range.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I agree.

15. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    I'm not sure why they'd tell you that since they have UC similar to a Baer. After my dealings with them though, I think they just prefer the "Colt" style for some reason.

That said, if you don't like it, sell it. That's what I'd do, or just deal with honestly, but that's me.

I will agree with an earlier post, I wouldn't waste the money on getting Black-T if you decide on have a smith do the work...there are much better choices, IMO.

16. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    They've made other changes over the years. Like the use of a MIM slidestop and now the use of their barrels. It's not like the FBI would complain, so I'd imagine the "approval" would come quite easily.

17. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    Who knows with the FBI. Those other changes were parts that "met or exceeded" the original spec, and it is my understanding those specific changes do not need approval. The high grip cut would be a little more complicated. It does beg the question why the FBI did not go with the high grip cut on the Pro, though. Nothing in a gov't contract "anything" comes easy.....:)

18. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't really believe that MIM parts exceed forged but the govt never makes mistakes. :whistling:

Dunno about that. A SS spec change is much more vital than the ergos in terms of reliability.

Sorry but to me, these things are just getting WAY overhyped and overpriced for the features they have compared to even their own models. A Civilian is better off ordering something from the SACS in terms of value IMO. Just sayin when these things were sub $2000 they had less MIM and better barrels (IMO).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. icedevil

icedevil

Dec 28, 2009
    The undercut and the way it mates with the checkering has always been a hang up for me on the Pro. I like everything else about that gun, but the aesthetic of the front strap just doesn't look right to me (yes, it's a tool, but anyone who is honest will admit that for that kind of money aesthetics come into play). This is the main reason I went with a Baer SRP. I really like the look of Baer's undercut and where the checkering starts. Never shot a Pro so I can't comment on feel. I'm sure if I had one, I would get used to the feel and there are a lot of happy owners of that gun.

If you have any thoughts of reselling the gun, I wouldn't change the front strap, unless you can have SA Custom Shop do it the way you want. Even then it would probably eliminate a bunch of potential buyers who would want the exact FBI spec.

20. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010

:rofl::rofl: