close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Springfield mil spec 1911 value?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ctfireman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    What is a fair price for a used but mint condition mil spec 1911, full fize, parkerized finish? A local shop has one for $550 & for some reason springfield 1911's have been hard to find around here. I want it bad but just wanna be sure it's a good deal. Thanks guys.

2. Lifttech

Lifttech

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Depends on what part of the country they are being sold but they sell new around Central Ohio for $550-$575. So I would guess $500-$525. If it has a NM serial # prefix it may go for a little more on the used market as tend to have better fit and finish.

3. I recently picked one up for $450.00.
    I live in Indiana.
    They wanted more for it but I "bargained" with them until they got tired of me.
    I told them I could get a brand new one on line for $600.00 so if they wanted to sell it I would give them 450.
    I was actually surprised they agreed.

4. Oh, and if you get it I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
    Good shooter and feeds all kinds of rounds without a problem.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Jan 15, 2002
    A dealer at the last show I went to apparently had been hitting the sauce and talked himself into believing that a parked Mil-Spec was worth $899+tax.

So there's your outlier you can throw out for averaging.

6. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

Mar 13, 2009
    Coastal SC
    I picked up a LNIB (200rds) Parkerized MilSpec from the EE section of ar15.com for $525 shipped. Nice pistol, accurate, but crappy (heavy) trigger pull. Dropped in a C&S 4.5lb matched trigger pull set (hammer/sear/disconnector/sear spring/mainspring) which made an unbelievable difference.

7. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Glad i called around before jumping on that one.....hoffmans has a new one for $530! Gettin up nice & early tomorrow.

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    WTF???? $900 ???? That is a great deal....:rofl:

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Make sure its the mil-spec (slanted serrations) and not the "GI mil-spec" (vertical)

10. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
    Just curious, but what is the difference?

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    G.I. Mil-spec (less than $600)
    [​IMG]

MIL-SPEC (less than $700)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  12. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks for the info! Mine is the "G.I." mil-spec, which may explain why I picked it up (used) for a song. It seems the other one is more of a shooter's gun (ie., it has sights).

13. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks alot for this, i didn't know there were so many differences between them.

14. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    I still haven't made a move but tomorrow is the day. Would you guys go for the mil spec for $550 or the metro arms (upgraded model) for $499? The mil spec is mint but used & the metro arms is brand new. The action & trigger seem way more slick on the metro, i know it sounds dumb but i'm kinda hung up on a springfield vs "no name" issue.

15. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know about the one you are looking at, but my Springfield GI mil spec is made in Brazil and does not warrant any extra regard because of its brand name. I have replaced most of the internals and everything I ordered (all of it low-end priced) is clearly of a higher quality than the rather crude original parts. I would get the gun with the better trigger and smoother action.

16. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Dec 10, 2009
    Buy the better gun and do the trigger job yourself, not the other way around.

17. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
    I don't consider a Springfield made in Brazil to be a better gun. It seems to me to be a cheap, crudely made gun from Brazil that was neither reliable nor accurate when I bought it. But now it is being reborn as an excellent .22lr target pistol.

18. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds like you guys are voting for the metro.

19. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

Mar 13, 2009
    Coastal SC
    Really depends upon whether you will need to make mods to the Mil Spec or leave it stock. If you plan on upgrading the sights, adding a beavertail, etc., you will have more in the Mil Spec than you can ever sell it for, should you decide to. Everything I have read about the Metro indicates that, for the money, it's well made. It appears as though the folks at Metro are paying close attention to fitting, etc. Time will tell whether they continue doing that as the pistols become more popular and they are required to ramp up production. My Mil Spec is stock except for C&S ignition parts. I don't need a beavertail and shoot fine with the stock sights. It's not as accurate as my Kimber, but it's pretty close. Good luck.