Springfield Micro Compact for CCW?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by thinktwice, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Hi Mas,
    I just purchased a 45acp Springfield Micro Compact Loaded model as my self defense weapon. I am not new to the 1911 platform or firearms in general. However I have heard many people state a 3 inch 1911 is not very reliable. I knew this when I bought it, but I got such a good deal on it I couldn't turn it down. I have only put 150 rounds of 230 gr FMJ through it and so far it hasn't malfunctioned one time. I would like your opinion on this pistol or three inch 1911's in general. Also do you think I should use a lighter grain round for this little gun?
    Thanks for all the expert information you provide us with. I read every publication I can get my hands on that you have some input in.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote

You already know that short 1911s are much more finicky than the century-plus-old 5" guns and the 63-year-old 4.25" Commander styles. Not a Springfield Armory thing, just a 1911 thing.

Keep it clean, keep it lubed, change the recoil spring frequently, and shoot it regularly to maintain your confidence in its reliability. What matters is how YOURS works.

I'd be inclined toward high-tech 230 grain hollow points such as the Gold Dot Short Barrel, the Winchester Ranger series, and the Federal HST which are expressly engineered to expand when fired from short barrel guns.

best,
    Mas

3. Thanks Mas, I 'll do just that.