close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

spring weight question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by midnitesi, Aug 3, 2012.

1. midnitesi

midnitesi

i know what the factory guide rod spring weight is, looking to get a stainless or tungston rod, not sure about the weight i should get for the spring, dont wanna buy multiple and only use a 1,

have a Glock 17 RTF2

target load is 115 gr federal or tulammo
    carry load is 135 gr +p critical duty

want to reduce felt recoil, for better shot placement,

ANY ADVICE competition, carry, ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I have always thought that the calibration or performance packs were a good way to go. You get two different recoil springs (one lighter, one heavier) and striker springs to match.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#117

Stock No. 14170 seems interesting.

It's worth noting that when you lighten the recoil spring, the striker spring is working against it when you squeeze the trigger. If the mismatch is too much, the gun will come out of battery.

Sometimes you have to lighten the striker spring. And then the striker spring won't move the striker hard enough so you have to change the striker as well.

Depending on how far afield you get, changing springs can be challenging.

Richard

3. M 7

M 7

I'd give the calibration packs a try. See what works best.

I have stainless rods in all of mine and I shoot all sorts of bullet weights in mine. Factory spec. poundage replacements have done the trick for me.

4. midnitesi

midnitesi

thanks for the packs advice, im only goin to put them on my active shooters, which are 1 glock, and would rather only buy 1 over 4 or 5, i shoulda said i wanted to know who has really played with the weights and what springs seem to do the best for the 9mm

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I shoot a G-19(RTF2) every week. In fact I'll be running another 200 rounds through it again this afternoon. A standard weight 17# spring will work just fine in your G-17. I'll offer some advice: (1) Don't waste money on a tungsten rod. (2) Now that you know about Wolff Gunsprings take a look at their NP3 coated solid (carbon) steel rod. I've been using them for the past 10 years in all of my Glock pistols. The Wolff rods are a little thicker than other aftermarket rods, kink the spring less, are very slick, and don't have an annoying little screw to shoot off the end of the rod. (3) Unlike Matt Burkett's well publicized opinion I never use lighter springs in my Glocks; a pound, or two, heavier? Yes, but never lighter. (Neither do I manage recoil in the same way that Matt does; so, to each his own.)

Tula ammunition is pure crap. Personally I would never use it in one of my pistols. (Federal, 'Champion' is bad enough!) :supergrin: Recoil is largely PERCEIVED. In 9mm it's really not an issue at all. Simply learn how to manage it better; and you should be fine. My personal recoil philosophy is that:

RECOIL IS A SHOOTING, 'TOOL' WITHOUT WHICH I'M UNABLE TO USE A PISTOL WELL FOR MULTIPLE SHOTS.

Most of the time I don't even know it's there! My final suggestion? Forget about fretting over recoil. Concentrate on your trigger stroke and watching the very top of your front sight, instead. Here, one more time: http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5

6. M 7

M 7

So then you are going a heavy as 19# in your Glock 17?

If you have, have you seen any benefits?

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

No, I don't have a G-17; I have a G-19; and I've found the standard 18# recoil spring to be more than sufficient for, 'hot' loads. The only thing I've noticed is that it throws low power Federal brass no more than 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Standard recoil spring weight on a G-17 is 17#; it used to be 17#'s on the G-19, too; but the factory recently changed that by adding 1#. My G-19(RTF2) has, now, run through more than 3,000 rounds, flawlessly!

8. 125K9

125K9

All of my Glocks, except for the gen.4 G22, have Wolff rods/springs in them. I've used Wolff products for many years and always without any problems, in fact, according to Wolff I was one of their first customers to try their RSA for the G26. I've always used 19lb. springs in both of my G19s and have successfully fired a wide range of 9mm.
    Wolff has great customer service as well. Good luck with what ever you decide.

9. midnitesi

midnitesi

thanks for the advice, and i have run a wide selection of ammo through my weapon, and i have found that tulammo works the best, no need to spend 18 bucks on a match load when im not shooting match, and i have a great grip, was trained with the standard police stance and grip, im just goin out a good distance and want to kill as much recoil as possible for better follow up shots, thats all, and i will check out their rods and springs,

also, never had an issue at all with tulammo or the champs, plus the only reason i use tulammo is i got 4000 rounds for dirt cheap, i think it was like 2.50 a box if you do the math, and walmart is 1.25miles closer to my house vs the gun shop,

thanks for the advice so far, and if i were go match any thoughts?

10. M 7

M 7

Well, I may just go and put a 19# spring in both of 'em (I've got a 17 and a 19) since I shoot a lot of NATO and +P stuff.

The "low power" Federal stuff that you are using- is it the AE or Champion stuff? Reason I ask is that the Federal AE stuff is actualy pretty brisk stuff, IME.

11. midnitesi

midnitesi

it is champion, i find it easier just to walk to the walmart that is sptting distance from my house than drive to the gun store, it all goes bang

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I use both; and have boxes of the both of them on my desk, right now, as I type. (This is, 'Why' I told you I'm only getting (acceptable) 3 to 4 foot brass ejection with the Champion ammo.) If I had a lot of NATO 9mm I might go to a 19# spring, too.