close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sperr Gold Dot Short Barrel load in .40

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Jan 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    The 180gr GD Short Barrel load. Anyone test them? I'm not usually a fan of the heavy-in-caliber loads but that thing has a gaping HP cavity so I'd imagine it would expand well and the 180gr weight would lend itself to penetration. If anyone has any feedback it'd be greatly appreciated, especially pics/links to expansion after denim/clothing.

I'm using a Kahr CW40 with a 3.6" barrel.

ETA---can't change the spelling of Speer in the title.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. There seems to be no go reason to pay the premium for SB when standard JHPs are working just fine. It's kind of like buying boutique motor oil. The good ol' Dino works just fine at lower cost.

4. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    Excellent links! Thanks.

The HST and Ranger T loads you recommend---are they the 180gr ones?

5. novaDAK

novaDAK

Apr 17, 2006
    Is there any way to tell the difference between the SB and regular 180gr Gold Dots just by looking at them? I have 10rds left but don't have the box they came in. Comparing them to some 165gr Gold Dots they're not the same, these have a deeper HP cavity and almost look "countersunk" at the deepest point.

6. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'll assume that the reason for the deeper HP cavity is the velocity each respective round comes out at. i.e. the 180gr is slower therefore needs a bigger cavity to enhance expansion. The 155gr Gold Dots I've seen barely have a depression in them let alone what you would call a "cavity".

7. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    Need to bring back the old Speer Flying Ashtray that was a cavity.

8. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA

180gr HST and Ranger T are my favorites. 165gr Ranger T is right there too.

9. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA

My experience is that the Short Barrel .40 expands much more reliably after heavy clothing than standard gold dot. Apparently that huge hollowpoint does a better job for expansion robustness. I like the .40 SB GD loading.