close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Speer LE Gold Dot 115 GR. +P+

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by LarryNC, Sep 26, 2010.

1. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    This stuff says Law Enforcement Use Only. I already know that it is perfectly legal to own and use. I'm only going to be using it in my glocks. I was just wondering if any of you have an opinion about it :supergrin: I have a 17, a 19 and a 17L. I found this ammo at a gun-show today and bought a few boxes of it. Years ago when I bought my 17L, I had just read an article or two about the 17L's velocities using the Cor-Bon ammo and the author suggested that out of the six-inch barrel it was nipping at the heels of .357 Magnum velocity and energy levels. That is the reason that I bought it (the long-slide). I have noticed that a lot of you guys are using the 124 grain stuff these days. I've never used any before. Anyway, I just wanted to get your opinions on the ammo I just bought. I know that the Gold-Dot is a proven bullet. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    It's good stuff but I doubt it approaches .357 Magnum energy.

3. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    It is fantastic CCW ammo and shoots extremely accurate in my Glock. It`s my G19 CCW load.

4. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    That's good to know. I'll have to give it a try in my 19.

5. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    I do realize that. You are right. I was just hoping that perhaps out of my 17L it might equal the same energy and velocity figures of the .357 Sig cartridge.

6. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Larry most guys report a 50-100 fps increase in speed out of the 6" barrels over the regular full size barrels. Energy just a little more also. Nether are large enough to make a difference in the real world!

7. 9mmParabellum

9mmParabellum

Jul 11, 2010
    If you want higher FPS then try www.buffalobore.com their 115gr +P+ out of a 4in bbl which is the G19 1400fps I use their 124gr I get a consistant 1289fps a couple of times 1285 at best its going to cost you for 20rds.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. LarryNC

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    Thank you.

9. 115gr Gold Dots can be bought as components for reloading 9mm/.38Super and .357SIG et al.

The 125gr Gold Dot in either .357SIG or .357mag has the advantage of a shallow hollow cavity vs the 115gr deep cavity design; it's not going to plug up in thick clothing like leather, down or thinsulate etc.

While the 115gr GD may approach .357SIG velocities out of a G17L, the 125gr GD is a better performer by virtue of its design.

I've done an extensive amount of testing between the deep cavity 124gr GD and shallow cavity 125gr GD handloaded to ~1300fps out of a G17; the result is I have several boxes of 124gr GDs that have been laying around the reloading room for about 4-5 years.

l-r, shallow cavity 125gr GDs in 9mm, .38Super and .357mag;

[​IMG]

I don't know the design velocity range of the 115gr GD, but this 124gr GD blew up in water bags at only 1268fps;

[​IMG]

I'd be interested to learn how the 115gr GD ammo performs in milk bottle testing. This 125gr GD, upper 1200s from a G17 penetrated a 1/10" hard steel barrier and exited out the side of #4 bottle, totally destroying #1 bottle;

[​IMG]

Bob :cowboy:

10. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    Have to agree with Bob on this
    now i know rounds such as the Federal 9BPLE (and the equivilant Winchester Round) has a good track record of putting people down - after using handloaded 9mm 115gn's @ 1350fps on medium sized animals (upto 180lbs) it did fail to impress me - sorry but 4" to 5" of penetration on meat and bone and then stopping really dosent fill me with much confidence.
    Keep in mind a 124gn XTP @ 1300fps in the 9mm (or safely pushed to 1350fps) has NO problem punching through an animal of similair size's shoulder - turning its lungs,heart ribs into mince then lodging just under the skin on the other side. The 125gn .355/.357 GD is just the same - added to which it can even but pushed to 1600fps and is still able to get good penetration.
    The 124gn GD out of the 9mm i havent killed anything with yet but keep in mind its the exact same cavity design as the 115gn (and 147gn) however NYPD loves the speer +P load - but i just cant seem to warm to it after seeing what happened on the goats i shot.
    To the OP just keep in mind there is a strong possibilty the 115gn can lack penetration, just one of the many things you need to keep in mind - wouldnt be my first choice.

11. Great feedback, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've found the 124gr XTP blows up/frags somewhere in the upper 1300s to low 1400s. The .355 cal 125gr GD in the low to mid 1400s is just plain wicked, as is the .357 cal 125gr GD mid 1600s.

12. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yep so as for the 124gn XTP in .355 its perfect for the 357sig - that being said im in possesion of about 300 factory loaded Hornady that are in fact loaded with 125gn .357cal XTP's! strange but I as you know they are a much stronger projectile - but at the average advertised velocity of 1350fps either projectile is good.

Forget to mention in some other threads, on my last culling trip out west i took down 2 large goats - one a male the other female, the nanny was almost facing me on a 30 degree angle - the shot i made at 15 yards hit her behing the shoulder and exited almost 2/3 along the rib cage on the other side - interesting point is here, the projectile (125gn GD from the Glock 31 doing 1380fps) failed to expand! first time ive seen that happen - i had only read about it on here but it still did its just had the old 357 lightning bolt effect she didnt feel a thing fell straight over and didnt twitch. The other billy took one in the front of the chest and the projectile didnt exit and did its job instantly.

I did see on here before you comment youd never seen one of those shallow cavity GD's to fail to expand - neither had i until July still id prefer the good penetration and solid desgin of it - just a detail i noticed.
    Keep in mind that animal weighed about 180lbs id guess thats the better part of 18inches it cut through.

13. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    At one time I had 115gr. +P+, 124gr. +P, and standard pressure 147gr. Gold Dots. I shot them into all kinds of test medium. All were amazingly consistent in opening up. A little difference in penetration. I like the mid range +p's or +P+ ammo. Bit the 115gr. +P+ would sure make a mess of somebody's insides. I have some of the Winchester 115+P+ stored away. The 115gr. +P+ ammo should it's worth in many LEO usages. The heavier bullets are better for shooting through things if you need to to reach the bad guy. But will work fine for most applications.

14. The 125gr GD failing to expand is an eye opener for sure,

125gr XTP in a .357SIG from Hornady ammo has to be a win-win for you, a .357mag design bullet at mag velocities. The 124gr XTP works very well out of a G17 at upper load range velocities . . . ~1300fps; I'd take that bullet over the 115gr GD.

For those who haven't seen these pics, the .357cal, 125gr XTP holds up well at 1491fps out of a Colt/1911/.38Super, flat shooting, long range accuracy bullet combination.

[​IMG]

This bleached out full size range cow leg bone had a very large exit hole, 10 ply semi-truck tire casing was in front of this leg bone.

15. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah i was pretty suprised to the 125gn GD fail to open bit it did, i had heard an exprience of an actual shooting on here early on in the year that the same thing happened - i honestly was sceptical until i saw it first hand - but hey for me thats once out of about 60 things ive shot dead where it failed - thats acceptable to me.

I have seen your tests done on the 125gn XTP and i was impressed ive had great results with it too - the XTP is very underated i think - it has an undeserved reputation on here for not being a viable denfensive projectile.

The projectile in the Hornady factory load in 357sig is great - not too sure if id handload them, but i do prefer them to the 124gn this is also due to the OAL they produce.

16. novaDAK

novaDAK

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm a firm believer in the current FBI tests and requirements and I realize it might not meet some of those requirements, but one load I'll make an exception for is the Federal 9BPLE, 115gr +P+ JHP. My county PD used it for quite some time and I've never heard a complaint in its effectiveness. One officer I know liked it better than the .40s they switched to a couple years ago.

I don't know how the Speer Gold Dot load compares, but I'd imagine it would have the advantage of not fragmenting as easily due to it's bonded construction and would be better through barriers. Wouldn't know without actually testing it though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  17. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    The Speer 115 gr. +p+ performs almost exactly as does the 124 gr. +p. Both are good rounds. That said, I still carry BPLE in my SIG 228 because it works and is laser like accurate in my SIG. My Glock however, as stated before, likes the Speer 115 gr. +p+.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I haven't shot 9BPLE yet but I'm trying to find some. GD 124+P's have always been laser like for me, even from short barrels like the PM9. When I load up 147 HSTs the groups open up considerably. It's very strange.

19. Austinite

Austinite

May 27, 2007
    For what it's worth, I've done a quasi-bullet test with the 115 GD +P+. I shot a ~90 live weight axis doe behind the shoulder (it had already been harvested, meat was tainted, I was shooting straight down where it lay) with a 115 GD +P+ and a 147 HST +P. The GD penetrated the entire boileroom and exited. The HST expanded beautifully and lodged under the skin on the off-side. I'm guessing the width of the boilerroom on this critter was around 12" but I didnt measure.

I have no idea which bullet(s) hit rib(s).

Like I said, it ain't scientific, but some may find it interesting.