close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Speer Lawman FMJ VS TMJ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Slug71, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Hey guys,
    I want to get some good ammo to fill my empty mags with and make a little stock pile. Too expensive with hollow points so I've decided on Speer Lawman in either TMJ or FMJ. Would either one be good enough for SD/SHTF scenario or should I pick one over the other?

I know what the difference is between the two and that manufacturers make them differently. Some with a FMJ bullet and a plated bottom and others where the lead is completely plated. At least thats what I concluded from my research. Just not sure how Speer does it.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    What caliber? You really should rethink not using JHPs for SD. Pistols aren't known for being great stoppers even with modern hollow points. Why make it worse by not using hollow points? You don't need that many.

In 9mm the old Federal 9BPLE is a very good load and could be found for around $17 per box of 50 once in awhile. Of course that was before the latest panic.

As far as Lawman FMJ vs TMJ, I doubt it makes much difference in terms of one over the other.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

3. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Get thee over to SGAmmo.com and look at what he's got on that site. Different styles/brands/prices/quantities. Get an idea of what's available and choose. Don't scrimp on self-defense!

Like Cowboy says, it's not all so expensive. A good brand of SD round can be had for around $20 or so for 50. Just don't shoot them all up at once and keep sufficient on hand for your gun. :supergrin:

4. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Along with those above, I'd encourage you to use JHPs for SD since FMJs are not the best option. You're better off with a round that expands and damages the most tissue possible as opposed to a round that simply slips through tissue with a minimal of damage.

The TMJ is a totally enclosed design achieved by electrolytically plating the jacket to lead core whereas the FMJ is a "cup and core" construction, that is- the jacket is struck to form its shape and then a soft lead core is forced into it.

Neither one behaves any differently in tissue than the other and there are much better options, namely JHPs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    9mm.
    Thanks. Will look into more JHP options.

6. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    If you are just talking about stockpiling ammo, then yes, FMJ or TMJ is fine. But the bullets in your magazine that you carry everyday should be premium hollow points.

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Amen, brother. Good post. :supergrin: