Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Speer gold dot +p or winchester ranger

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by conpro, Jan 17, 2012.

1. conpro

Mar 21, 2009
    Cant decide on which one to carry. 9mm
  2. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Oct 9, 2005

3. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

Nov 23, 2009
    +1 for Gold Dot. 124gr +P in my G26.
  4. PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    You did not mention which Ranger you were considering. If it is the 124+p T Series, I would say either one. I always go with +p+ in a short barrel.
  5. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Get whichever one you find the best deal on. I bet the bad guys won't be able to tell the difference. Some people might say to use whichever one groups best in your gun but, in reality, does it really make that much of a difference if one groups 1/2" tigher at 25 yards when you've got a mugger pulling a knife on you 5 years away?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Flip a coin, both are solid performers.
  7. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011
    whichever one works the best in your pistol. try them both.

both are great rounds and there is just no real significant difference in flesh. the gold dot is bonded tho.
  8. backcast88

Dec 10, 2011
    Of the choices listed, Gold Dot.

Above either one, Federal HST.
  9. JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Gold Dot, HST , Ranger T in 124+P are three excellent choices. You can not go wrong with any of these. Make sure your round of choice works in YOUR pistol.
  10. jhon

Dec 1, 2010
    My 1st choice would be Gold dot 124 +P or reg 124 ( not much difference between the two as for power, but I would defiantly use the 124 +p for short barrel ), 2nd choice Ranger T's 127 +P+, then Federal 124.

Sujjestion would be to by a box of each of the ones that you want to try or are considering. Yes it may be a little expensive since generally you only get 20 rds per box. But after shooting 5-10 rds per box, you should have a good feel on how they shoot, how the recoil is and most of all how it feels to you.

Then go from there...:)
  11. 10-S

Nov 20, 2005
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Gold Dot 115g +p+ in a G17, G26 & PM9.
  12. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    I've seen some questionable results with Rangers so still prefer Gold Dots. I do have a couple of boxes of Ranger 127+P+ though.

[ame=""]Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm +P+ 127 gr JHP AMMO TEST - YouTube[/ame]

Interestingly though, even though that bullet failed to expand it still did a pretty decent job and didn't overpenetrate like an FMJ would.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  13. Wait for the 10mm and 357SIG suggestions. :crying:
  14. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    I did an amatuer ballistic test with the Winchester T-Series 127 gr +p+ the other day firing, several of these into water jugs. Due to the way I set the test up, I was only able to recover a couple of the rounds and both failed to fully expand. I think one or 2 petals opened up but the rest failed. I do not know what the other bullets did because I was not able to recover them but I was not happy with the results. But if you ask Massad Ayob or other firearms experts, this round seems to be doing extremely well on the street as is the Gold Dot. However, I have never seen a 9mm Gold Dot fail to expand in any test, amateur or professional. It may not open up and be as nasty looking as a T-Series bullet or an HST, but they do expand.
  15. hotpig

I have been to many demo tests over the years. So many that It is not even remotely interesting to attend anymore.

Every brand has one thing in common. They all fail to expand some times. I sell all of the major LE rounds. None of them come with a 100% guarantee.

Both rounds addressed in this thread are well proven in actual flesh and blood shootings. Although neither one would be my first pick. You simply are not going to find any 9mm ammo that is much better than they are. You can however find many rounds that are worse.
  16. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011

A good reminder for us all to remember as we place our shots! :)
  17. up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I have a good stash of Win Ranger 127+p+ and Speer GD 124gr +p. It come's down to the gun and which load it shoots better with (accuracy and POA/POI).
  18. hotpig

Always keep in mind. A hollow point is a two edged sword. The design under perfect conditions could allow robust expansion and deep penetration. The other side of the sword is it has a built in flaw. A hole in the bullet nose that can become clogged and not allow any or all expansion.

I always say shot placement is key, expansion is a bonus.