close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Speeding in OKC: Talked to cop, showed CHL...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Shinesintx, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Shinesintx

Shinesintx
    Expand Collapse

Got pulled over in Oklahoma City doing 70 in a 60...

I was traveling for business reasons and was unaware that the speed went from 70 to 60. Decided to go ahead and give my DL and CHL as I have no idea what the laws are in Oklahoma. When I presented both, he (the officer) asked if I was carrying. I said no, as it is a PITA to fly with a handgun. He asked what I normally carry. I informed him that I had recently graduated to a G33 and still sometimes carry the LCP. He said "cool, but you are welcome to take your hands off the steering wheel now". :rofl:

He asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said "70". He said that I was correct, but the speed went down to 60 a few miles back...and then he proceeded to tell me that I probably did not see it. Who was I to argue with the man? He then said I was not going to get a ticket, but he needed to run my license to make sure that I was clean. When he came back he shook my hand and told me to have a nice day. I thanked him and went on my way. Did the CHL help? I have no clue and was not gonna ask...

I dont know if he was a local or Highway Patrol, but he drove an unmarked black Tahoe. Dont really care either way, just happy no ticket. Talking to the cops and showing them that I had a CWP was not a problem. Honestly, it was the nicest traffic stop that I have EVER experienced.

Sidenote: He did not even ask why my DL was from Texas and my CWP was from Utah.:dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. trifecta

trifecta
    Expand Collapse

Let's see.....

Cool story bro

Was he wearing his hat?

Never talk to the police.

Did he have probably cause to stop you?

Did you yell out,"am I being detained?"

Did you notice him following your hot wife?

Lucky you didn't have your firearm or he might he might have violated your rights by securing it during the stop.

They have no right to stop you if it is a speed trap.

You are lucky they didn't send a SWAT team to stop you.

3. Shinesintx

Shinesintx
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I get it. :)

#3 Shinesintx, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. trifecta

trifecta
    Expand Collapse

I posted to save everyone else to the trouble of all the usual nonsense. I am happy you had a good experience with the police in Oklahoma. I have also found them to not be a problem the few times I have had a chance to meet them on the side of the road.

My reading comprehension is usually excellent. I also had a physical recently and nothing was found in my posterior.

All the best...

5. joker42179

joker42179
    Expand Collapse

6. gommer

gommer
    Expand Collapse

Wow, lol, he was just quoting the typical GT responses to LEO interaction.

Grab a soda and chill fella!

7. Shinesintx

Shinesintx
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I get it now. Sorry for being so defensive.:embarassed:

8. trifecta

trifecta
    Expand Collapse

We are good my friend. Was hoping you would figure it out.

9. kensteele

kensteele
    Expand Collapse

If you are not carrying, I'm not sure you had to show your permit but you did fine anyway if it helped. I believe OK is a must-inform state, if you go there with your handgun (or it's your state next door), you probably should know the law with your neighbors. In these parts, SWA is probably the easiest airline to fly with a handgun but I understand it might be iffy when you fly on business.

10. Shinesintx

Shinesintx
    Expand Collapse

The guy had me dead to rights as far as the speeding went...so I figured what the heck, I will give him my permit and see what happens. I was pretty sure that I was gonna get a ticket...and I did not. Was it the permit? I will never know, but he sure was cool about the whole deal. There were multiple reasons for why I may not have gotten a ticket.

Possibilities:
    1) I was VERY courteous.
    2) My hands were at 10 and 2
    3) I was dressed nicely
    4) He could tell that I was in the state conducting business (he asked what I sold and I was very forthcoming).
    5) I admitted that I was doing 70, I did not try and lie. I honestly did not know that I was speeding. It was a speed trap. Which is weird because speed traps are for ticket writing.
    6) I had a CWP? Kind of a longshot I guess.
    7) He liked that I used to CC an LCP
    8) I now carry a G33 Glock. (He carried a G22):whistling:

Lotsa reasons...maybe none of them contributed and it was something else? I will never know, as I was not gonna ask....just happy that I did not get a ticket.

I have traveled on SWA many times with shotguns and rifles...just dont wanna deal with the hassle of checking a handgun. My Utah license is a no go in Kansas.

#10 Shinesintx, Jun 8, 2011
  11. saddlebum

saddlebum
    Expand Collapse

i got pulled over in nw oklahoma by a sheriffs deputy one time, showed him my chl and drivers lic. he asked what i was carrying and i told him g27,he said he'd been wanting one for back up and off duty and i told him i'd been wanting to switch to a j frame for pocket carry. well he had one was thinking about trading we exchanged numbers and he called me and cameout to my deer lease when he got off duty and we made a trade

#11 saddlebum, Jun 8, 2011
  12. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Shines,

I've been stopped a few times while packing. One cop did give me a ticket years ago but most let me off the hook (but then I was not going real fast over the limit.)

And yes I was polite (and so were they.) No hassle at all. But that's in Texas. I cannot speak for other states and I'd really hate to be stopped in New Jersey, no matter that the federal law says about transporting guns!

As for your possibilities, you were courteous, decent looking, honest, and yes you had a CHL, a 'good guy' card.

All that helped.

Deaf

13. NWGlocker

NWGlocker
    Expand Collapse

I haven't had a ticket yet since I started carrying. It is pretty sweet. Of course I am not running around like a nascar driver trying to get pulled over either. I just noticed that a lot of times the cops are pretty cool about the whole thing.

14. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Funny, those sound just like the usual Arfcom responses to LEO interaction.

15. Spats McGee

Spats McGee
    Expand Collapse

In Arkansas, one must "[c]arry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer." Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-315 (West). From what I've heard, though, we have quite a few officers at all levels who believe that we are a "must hand over the CHCL any time you're stopped" state. When in doubt, and stopped by LE, it seems best to be just to go ahead and hand over the permit.

Glad that it worked out for you.

16. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

He must have liked your visor. :wavey: (sorry couldn't resist)

17. djpuffnstuff

djpuffnstuff
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how people seem to have so many bad experiences in traffic stops. I have been pulled over 8 times (._I think_.) and have only gotten one ticket. Just be pleasant and respectful to the cops and usually they let you go with a warning. The one ticket I got I was going 25 over the limit so there wasn't any amount of nicing to get outta that one.

I've only been pulled over twice since getting my CWP, but both times handed that over as well and for whatever reason the cop didn't see the need draw down on me or even take my weapon for his safety.

18. jerrytrini

jerrytrini
    Expand Collapse

75% of my traffic stops resulted in just, "Don't do it again. Have a safe day". Then there is the 10% of blatant disregard of traffic laws and there is the 15% Adam Henry's that are "I make more money than you that's why you are giving me a ticket", I pay your salary and so called Road Lawyers" etc etc....
    So in short, just be polite but if you have to argue, be civil about it and most importantly don't yell at us.

#18 jerrytrini, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  19. rv4driver

rv4driver
    Expand Collapse

I live for the day when I'm heading out to the range to teach a class, and I get stopped, "do you have any weapons in your vehicle?"

Oh, my, it's going to be a long day.

The inventory alone will take a while.

Actually, you know what? The local PD trains there, the Sheriff's office trains there, Homeland Security trains there, numerous present and ex-LEO's teach class there, (two of them trained me), heck, I'll probably be fine.

Unless my wife is along. She can get an attitude. Kidding! I'm kidding, dear!

Be nice, show respect, above all, don't do nuthin' dumb. You'll be fine.

Jeff

20. liberty addict

liberty addict
    Expand Collapse

I live in Oklahoma and I am convinced that having a CHL helps you get out of tickets (at least I know it has helped me on several occasions). Of course it isn't just the CHL it is your attitude, etc.

BTW Oklahoma accepts ALL other states' concealed carry licenses, that's why he didn't ask you the details of your arrangement.