close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Specific J-Frame Recommended for CCW/BUG?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by ViennaGambit, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009
    Dear Mas,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your advice and experiences in this section - it is a goldmine of information.

As for my question: is there a specific model J-Frame that you particularly recommend over others for a CCW/BUG?

Is an enclosed hammer, as in the 642/442, the absolute way to go or can a suitable argument be made for the shrouded 638 variant? I assume an exposed hammer is the least favorable...

Should the S&W internal lock be a guiding concern?

Thank you in advance.
    -Harry

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Arguments can be made for all three variants. Personally, I go with the Centennial ("hammerless") style. I can get the hand higher on the grip tang, lowering muzzle angle and giving me more leverage to control muzzle jump in rapid fire. Having seen people falsely accused of negligently cocking their guns and creating a hair trigger effect, I like a gun whose design keeps that false accusation off the table entirely.

Personal choice: 340 M&P, mainly because it has the best sights S&W ever put on a J-frame.

There have been some documented instances of the lock spontaneously engaging, usually with very light guns firing very powerful ammunition. With +P in the 340 M&P I don't worry about it; with .357, I just might. I personally see no need for the internal lock on these guns.

YMMV,
    Mas

3. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
  4. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009
    Thank you Mas for the prompt response and information - greatly appreciated.

Best,
    -Harry