close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spark plugs.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Aug 6, 2012.

1. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

What are you all runnin for spark plugs, OE or after market? It's getting close to spark plug change in my pickup and I'm trying to decide what plug to run:headscratch:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip
    Expand Collapse

I use the NGK iridium plugs in my wife's ride.

3. paynter2

paynter2
    Expand Collapse
    It ain't over
    Millennium Member

Okie - you always say you like your truck. It's given you good service. That said, I'd stick with OEM plugs. :wavey:

4. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC
    Expand Collapse

I use these in my Honda CRV. Changed at the 100K mile mark and will use them again at the 200K mile. The first set looked great and am saving them for spares.

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger
    Expand Collapse
    EL GATO!

AC Delco platinum (OEM Plugs) - GMs don't really like anything else.

I'd use whatever came in it. Super-fancy plugs don't usually gain enough to make a difference.

6. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

It's been an awesome pickup for sure and I plan on keeping it for a long time so OE may just be the ticket again my friend:thumbsup:

7. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

I changed the plugs in my 2003 GMC for the 1st time last year. The truck had about 70k miles. After some online research I saw the recommended plugs took 2 leaps fwd from those listed in the owner's manual. I'm sure the older types in the manual would of worked fine, but I went with the newer iridium type. I just ordered them off fleabay.

FYI I had to get a 'boot puller' to pull a few of the harder to access boots off the older plugs.

8. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

That's my thoughts also my friend:thumbsup:

9. aircarver

aircarver
    Expand Collapse
    Ride Continues
    Silver Member

Since you don't change 'em very often anymore, go for the expensive (platinum, iridium) ones.

They so don't wear out anymore, it's tempting to not bother at all, but this might result in the plug seizing and tearing the threads out of the head when you have to replace one.

So, if for no other reason, change 'em to renew the anti-seize compound on the threads ....

10. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

Wise words there my friend:supergrin:

11. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

I'm kind of torn on this topic.

My last car, a 2005 Mustang 4.6GT, I only changed plugs once, and those particular plugs are very specialized, with only one choice of after-market plugs, which I used and worked very well.

In my cars of the past, I used the best plugs that money can buy, Uber un-obtanium plated super-sparkers. And back then I was such a car fiend that I was changing faaaar too often, way more than necessary. They worked well as long as they were properly gapped, which is very important.

Now, with current cars that are highly engineered, especially their ignition/fuel supply/engine management systems, I'd lead stick with OEM. They're made for the specific ignition needs, and the specific combustion chamber temps and pressures.

#11 M&P15T, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. Unlocked

Unlocked
    Expand Collapse
    4 8 15 16 23 42
    CLM

Over the years I've learned to just stick with Motorcraft plugs in my Fords.

13. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Champions are or in your truck Okie.

14. SC Tiger

SC Tiger
    Expand Collapse
    EL GATO!

Two more questions:

1) What kind of truck is it? It looks like a Dodge if that is it in your avatar.

2) Do you have aluminum or cast-iron heads? If you have aluminum ones make sure the truck is dead cold before changing them. I bought the plugs for mine one day, let it sit overnight and changed them the next morning. Mine has aluminum heads (I wish they were cast iron or steel or whatever they use now).

15. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

Yes that's my pickup in my avatar, 06 Ram 4.7l with aluminum heads:supergrin:

#15 okie, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

Yup you are right as rain my friend:supergrin:

17. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie
    Expand Collapse

This depends on the vehicle and the type of ignition system it has. Some vehicles run horribly on "expensive" plugs, depending on the makeup of the plugs. I would either a) do the research, and see what the forums concensus is on your vehicle, with your engine. And I mean go to a Dodge Ram (or whatever yours is) forum and look around, or b) go with OEM plugs. Chances are we won't know over here, and everyone's experience will be different, based on what they drive and what plugs they bought.

18. stolenphot0

stolenphot0
    Expand Collapse
    RTF2 Addict

Stick with OEM and you can't go wrong. Depending on the age of your truck too, it may not be set up for hot burning fancy plugs. I know the 96 & earlier F-series trucks are not fond of the fancy plugs and a lot of the guys that really tune their trucks, stick with the copper OEM Motorcraft.

19. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

NGK Iridium in the bike, Bosch Platinum Plus in the car. Or, if you don't feel adventurous, you can always use what the manufacturer recommends.

20. Viper16

Viper16
    Expand Collapse

NKG Iridium's On all my vehicles.