close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

spare rifle and pistol mag loadout

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Cochese, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I like this too.

I don't plan on running the top strap. I only use the lower one anyway. Keeping the receiver buckle on the INNER belt kills my only concern, which was taking up space with one of those in the first place.

:thumbsup:

I wish I hadn't given away my 6004 on the gear thread. :rofl:

2. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Would love to see a pic. Thanks!

I started off shooting pistol right handed. In the academy, one of the instructors saw me signing in with my LEFT hand and asked me if I was left handed or right handed. He asked why I was shooting right handed then and I told him I didn't really know, it just felt right. He had me switch over to lefty and it's been that way since.

O like that a lot too but I think it would get kind of busy around my rifle and that pack. I do like it though!

Primarily left handed, right eye dominant. I actually shoot "better" with pistol right handed (probably due to the right eye dominance) but I'm just used to it now. As a side effect, I have trained equally on both sides since 2004. Rifle just feels RIGHT shooting on the right side. Left side long gun kinda sucks for me, so I keep it simple.

SUPER fast transitions.

It's also interesting when I attend a shooting school and we have the inevitable "off hand" shooting comps. I always clean up. Instructors are like :wow: when I manage to get through the course left handed and kill thew off hand sections. :supergrin:

Its one of my stupid human tricks, like saying the alphabet in alphabetical order in 20 seconds and clapping one hand. :rofl:

We don't issue jack squat. I like!

Another nice option. PS it is good to see you back.

3. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

Sep 29, 2005
    Colorado
    Is your plan to use it for normal deployment or just for IARD type stuff?

The reason I ask is we're not allowed to have external vests normally but nobody is going to care if you toss one on when things are going that bad.... I'm not going to ask permission but I'm sure I'll be okay if I have to deploy my vest and won't be canned for it!

On the other hand, now that I broke my Center Mass Patrol Integrated Mag Pouch (AR Mag behind pistol mags) I am looking for something for general use where a plate carrier is not really warranted. So I am interested on what you find here.

4. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Basically for SHTF stuff, like Aurora, or armed subject calls with a high degree of chance for gunplay. I think I could certainly get away with it in another Aurora type situation but the issue is carting it back and forth from where I keep all my crap to the car. I have to share a car. Therefore it needs to be discreet or within policy.

This is an old setup, but this is my mag carrier. Made by Center of Mass holsters.

[​IMG]

My buddy Steve makes these...

http://www.coloradoholster.com/Colorado_Holster/Photos.html

He is a local deputy sheriff and a Glock Talk member. He also only charges $25!

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Pardon the dreadful phone camera quality. Otterbox Defender has a screen protector for the camera that I really need to remove.

[​IMG]

I had a BSD Tactical quad subload before this one and found it was on the heavy and loud side with the fourth magazine. I had two MOLLE single pistol mag pouches on that one, but only ever had a flashlight in one of them because I found it heavy as it was and did not like lugging it for more than a half hour.

The Safariland rig with three magazines is light, stays in position better, and is quieter. I have considered making one or even all of the pouches ELS (Equipment Locking System) plates so that I could swap things around. When I carried my Taser in my cargo pocket, the subload prevented me from accessing it, but were I able to quickly remove one magazine and snap in the Taser in a Safariland holster (to maintain compatibility with the ELS system, that wouldn't be too bad. The same could go for additional cuffs, pistol magazines, or anything else.

Total cost to build the rig was right in the $120 range, which is a little steep, but the quality and function are definitely there. All necessary parts can be purchased from CopQuest (really from any Safariland dealer that is willing to order the components, I mention CQ because they have the whole Safariland catalog on their site), with the exception of two T-nuts to attach the strap to the shroud (cheaper to buy this way than a completed shroud). I bought the T-nuts for $0.08/each at a hardware store.

You could also do the one strap shroud to begin with. I prefer the one strap (and DFA belt loop) for a drop leg handgun holster, but prefer the additional support of the two strap with the subload due to the weight and weight distribution of the three AR mags.

If anybody wants a parts list to build their own, I can put one together.

6. Cochese

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I would sure as hell be interested in a list!

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Here it is. Prices have apparently gone up. May be worth shopping around some.

Safariland 774 Competition Rifle Mag Pouches
    http://www.copquest.com/23-8155.htm

Although described as "competition" pouches, they are duty-ready, open top kydex with adjustable tension and proper hardware for attachment to the shroud.
    Quantity: 3
    Total Cost: $76.80

Your choice of:
    Safariland 6004-4 - Double Leg Strap Shroud Only
    ...or...
    Safariland 6004-14 - Single Leg Strap Shroud Only
    http://www.copquest.com/23-6265.htm

Single or double strap shroud based upon your preference.
    Quantity: 1
    Total Cost: $12.00

Safariland Thigh Leg Strap for 6004/6005 Holster - Single Strap
    http://www.copquest.com/23-6500.htm

One or two of these depending on your preference in shroud.
    Quantity: 1 or 2
    Total Cost: $14.40 or $28.80

Safariland Complete Vertical Strap and Buckle for 6005 Holster
    http://www.copquest.com/23-6385.htm

Pretty self explanatory. Go with the 6005 strap so that you get the QD buckle.
    Total Cost: $32.00

TOTAL: $135.20 or $149.60

That's still $11 cheaper than buying the complete two strap shroud and the three mag pouches.

Alternatively, if you want to do the one strap, you can buy:

Safariland 6005-10 Small Tactical Leg Shroud w/1 leg strap - Detachable
    http://www.copquest.com/23-6225.htm

Total Cost: $53.60

and the three magazines for $130.40 and have a one-strap shroud (albeit a slightly different one, I think) and three pouches for $5 less than piecing it together.

I'm actually a bit surprised by how prices have increased. May be worth tracking down a 6004 or 6005 on a forum, swapping the vertical strap for the QD one if necessary, and going from there. The current prices make me wish I would have bought parts to build some spares.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  8. ropin4gold

ropin4gold

Oct 22, 2006
    Middle TN
    I roll with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its maxpedition with a Quad AR mag pouch.

9. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

Does this have a molle option to attach to a vest? I've got a tac vest that I'm planning to add hard plates to as well as mags & a first aid kit. This looks like it wouldn't take up too much real estate.

10. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

Our dept does a lot of what's affectionately become known as "left handed bull ****". A lot of guys don't like it but a few of us have embraced it. I'm right handed but left eye dominant so it works out okay to switch.

I actually carry my bug in my left side cargo pocket so when we do our bug quals that's where I draw/shoot from. First couple of times I did it & we switched to "weak hand" (which would mean changing to my strong hand if you're following at home) I got yelled at for doing the drill with the "wrong" hand & had to explain. :wavey:

11. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

Jun 1, 2007
    I would get a plate carrier. I have one with 3 30 round pmags, 3 extra glock 22 mags, 3 zip cuffs, and a medical kit. I am not "allowed" to wear one either...but I'd love to meet the guy who is going to yell at you for wearing it when rounds start flying...

12. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Here's what I have on hand. Scalable of course to fit the situation. At the very minimum, I have two extra handgun magazines on my sam browne. If I need to deploy my rifle, the minimum load out to go with the rifle is a thigh rig with four extra 30 round magazines. If it starts to go sideways, my tac vest has three more 30 round M4 magazines, and two extra handgun magazines. If it gets worse, I have five more 30 rounders and a couple more handgun magazines that I can deploy.

[​IMG]

13. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    We use a Blackhawk drop leg. It holds 4 ar mags and snaps into a buckle worn on inner belt. Very fast to throw on. Costs about $40 for the drop leg pouch and $10 for belt adaptor.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ωmega-Elite-M16-Mag-Pouch-Holds-4,122,111.htm

Some guys use 3 pouches for mags and 1 for med supplies like tourn and qc.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  14. ucop27

ucop27

Apr 4, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    My question to myself and out loud is how many guys train with their bailout bag? I am liking the thigh idea more and more. Much easier to deal with than a bag that you need to carry on your person somehow and not let it get in the way.

15. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Mar 20, 2005
    Texas
    Have you thought of going with a drop leg MOLLE platform and then adding FASTMAGs to the platform?

I would think you could get as least 2 probably 3 M4/AR15 mags. You can then add FASTMAG pistol mags to the rifle mag holders.

16. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I'm thinking Jack Bauer man satchel. Effective, stylish, and intimidating. ;)

17. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    I like the thigh pouches a lot. Some of our guys have 2 of the adaptors on their belt. Left side for ar mags and right side for a med supply dump pouch. Very fast to snap on and access once attached.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

18. J_P

J_P

Jun 25, 2010
    Texas
    That's a sweet setup! Much Compliments!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    As officers do any of you see a time where there would ever be a need for some of these rigs w/ 5+ rifle mags?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2