close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Space bar freaking out

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by podwich, Oct 18, 2004.

1. podwich

podwich
    Expand Collapse

For some reason, my space bar is acting like a right mouse click (not every time, but most of the time). This is pretty freaking annoying. Any ideas on what could be going on? TIA.

2. podwich

podwich
    Expand Collapse

BTW, the computer's an IBM R51 Thinkpad.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

Isn't there a key right next to the Spacebar on that model that activates the Window menu?

Maybe those keys are rubbing or the Menu key is getting bumped by accident. Do they squeak more than normal?

Could be that the touchpad's R. mouse button is too sensitive, or the contacts are too close together and are closing when you hit the space bar quickly.

Try tapping the space bar lightly, then more forcefully until you cause the issue to manifest itself. Then you will have narrowed it down more.

Good luck,

FastVFR

4. Bogey

Bogey
    Expand Collapse
    The Mouth®
    CLM

Well, if it's a space bar....order yourself a cocktail and your worries will be over!;e

On a more serious note, I've never had your problem, nor have I ever heard of it. Sorry.

5. podwich

podwich
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't post earlier-my desktop crapped out and I couldn't type on the laptop.

Anyway, the laptop is owned by my school so I took it in for them to look at it. They said it likely was a short somewhere around the "mouse" button. I'll get it back tomorrow and hopefully it'll work again. :)