Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by C J, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I love my SP 101. Great little gun. I put Hogue Monogrips on mine and carry it in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster. Great holster for me. Keeps the gun up high but still easy access. The SP will handle any sane load right on up to the 200 grain CorBon and Buffalo Bore or Double tap 180 grain hardcast. I keep it loaded with the Federal 125 grain JHP.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I have the same Pachmayr grips in my 3"

Great gun......It Carries Appendix in a Remora holster or the #88 "Street Combat" Holster from El Paso Saddlery.

3. I bought one not long ago. Binds up after about 30 rounds. I like it but, it needs to go back to ruger. Like my LCR better.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  4. I like my 4" SP-101, works just great.
  5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I own both revolvers; I like them both, too. Because of its larger size I'm able to shoot my 686 with a 2 1/2" barrel on par with my SP-101 with a 3 1/8" barrel. There are two things that I, personally, wouldn't own an SP-101 without:

(1) A 3" barrel. Why? Because you've got to be able to shoot this small revolver straight in double-action; and, for me, a 2 1/2" barrel on a small revolver, like this, just doesn't cut it at 12 yards. (You never want to, 'scatter' you shots across the target; the tighter you're able to group the cylinder, the harder hitting your gun is going to be.)

(2) A hammer spur is necessary for making the longer shots, beyond 10 yards, accurately. I am NOT a believer in, 'belly guns'. Instead I believe in engaging the other guy BEFORE he's quite comfortable and ready enough to engage me. (Gunmen who live by the, '3 x 3 x 3' rule of combat engagement are, also, gunmen who seldom escape their first hostile encounter, unscathed.) ;)

No handgun is any good if it isn't easy to practice with. The considerable weight of an SP-101 is actually an advantage. 357 Magnum rounds generate a lot of heat. In the 6 or 7 years that I've been practicing with an SP-101 I've often fired this little pistol until it was too hot to handle with bare hands. IT HAS NEVER ONCE HAD A STOPPAGE!

I'm well-known not to like any typical, 'BUG' for use as a primary handgun. The Ruger SP-101 with a 3" barrel and an exposed hammer spur is as small as I'm willing to go and still consider the piece to be genuinely useful as a primary pistol.

#25 Arc Angel, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. I have one as well. Ruger sells a trigger spring kit for around $20. I changed mine out to the 6lb spring and it made the gun very friendly.
  7. Just got an email from Gemini Customs today....
    My SP101 DAO is ready for shipment...

Full report and pics to follow (early next week)
  8. I have the SP101 3" and believe the 125 gr, moderate load ammo makes this small frame .357 more fun to shoot. If I had wanted a 38 special, I would have bought one. The heftier 357 Mag ammo goes better in the medium frame, GP100.
  9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good little gun to carry mex style, or down the front of the brithches... Carries easy.

Great Gun !

10. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I hate the trigger in mine also. I talked to gunsmith last year when i bought it and he told me to shoot it . He said the trigger mech. needs to break in. So far I've got about 500 live rounds thru it and about 1000 dry fire cycles( with snap caps) . Its finally starting to get better. Its no S&W action , but its getting there ....:)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire