close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sowell; the voice of reason-

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Skyhook, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
  2. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Eloquently put. I don't imagine it will get much play in the MSM.

3. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    The one that absolutely floors me is the theater in Aurora, Colorado a few miles from the one where the shooting took place. They have always allowed carrying guns into the theater.

What did they do weeks after the shooting? They banned people from carrying and put up no-gun signs! :wow:

I mean, what's the thought process there? Same as these fools that write laws to "control guns".

4. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Interestingly, while nearly all GT "conservatives" would agree with the unassailability of Sowell's logic above, most would disagree as it applies to drugs, or any other contraband item.

Oh yeah: There's no "constitutional right" to drugs.

And we wonder why are in this mess....

Everyone wants to use the government as their muscle. Then they want to cry when that same muscle is used against them by another.

We reap what we sow.

5. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    I'm not sure I follow your point here. You're comparing drugs to guns?

I think Sowell's point is that putting restrictions on firearms harms only the law-abiding citizen, doing nothing to solve the problem.

I for one thing the war on drugs by the government is mostly a collosal failure, just like everything the federal government gets involved in. I don't really like them using their "muscle" for anything.

6. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Sowell:

"The key fallacy of so-called gun control laws is that such laws do not in fact control guns. They simply disarm law-abiding citizens, while people bent on violence find firearms readily available."

ie:

The key fallacy of so-called drug prohibition is that such laws do not in fact control drugs. They simply take drugs (choices) away from law-abiding citizens, while people bent on using drugs find them readily available.

(And that doesn't even take into consideration the violence that is injected into the market by prohibition.)

7. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    Gun ownership = drug use.. where's my freaking BS flag when I need it!?

8. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    Loosely quoting from another thread, here: Some folks will do something to make themselves feel better even though what they are doing is irrational and may/will infringe upon the rights of law-abiding citizens..

9. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    Chillax brah! It's just weed man...

10. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
  11. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Probably under that pile of freedom that you tossed out.

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    Really!?

:faint:

13. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Yes. When you support the state taking away freedom in one area, when you support the state banning something then you are setting the stage for the state to ban that which you hold dear.

14. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    The COTUS guarantees us life, liberty and the pursuit of recreational drug use. :smoking:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Thomas Sowell, the voice of reason on drugs

http://the-classic-liberal.com/thomas-sowell-drug-war/

16. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    My definition of 'some area' is limited to limiting behaviors which are proven to be detrimental to other citizens. Yes, I do approve of laws against driving under the influence, for instance. I also support laws which forbid convicted felons from ever owning firearms. There are other - few- examples, but ..:dunno:

17. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I would agree, that no matter what the subject, certain posters will try to tie it into their objection to not being able to get drugs.

(But, they're not addicted, or anything).

18. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Let the druggies have their drugs. Let them have them at a very young age. Hell, lets subsidize them so they can take more.

Maybe they'll take themselves out of the gene pool before they reproduce.

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

19. The problem with what Sowell and any of us could ever say to liberals is that they are fueled by emotion while we are the voice of reason. It just doesn't matter how logical you are and how many facts you can quote because they just can't see past the emotion.

There are quite a few liberals on my wife's side of the family. You know what happens when I try to use logic in a calm discussion about the Newtown shooting and "assault weapons" to get them to see that the logic and historical fact of gun control won't work and try talking about mental health issues? I learn that they also don't mind limiting freedom of speech. They deleted the thread when I started to make too much sense and some were starting to understand our (freedom loving gun owners) point of view rather than have anyone to see the light.