close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Son's actions cost father his pistol permit

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Going to be interesting how the father's pistol permit will fair at the end of this.

2. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

This was in the state of Mass., perhaps someone from there might give us insight.

3. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a Colt .380 Government model.

Nice little pistol. So they pull the dad's permit but question is, was the cabinet locked and he broke in? They father said he was 'stunned', so maybe the kid was able to bypass the lock.

Still in Texas they would not even think of pulling the fathers permit.

Deaf

4. AZson

AZson
    Expand Collapse

I like the part about he had no ammo, but he had it cocked so when the officers pulled it out might have fired. Talk about sensationalism in the media.
    How about, he had no ammo so when the officers pulled out, it could not have fired?

5. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

If he broke into a locked container, once the legal issues are squared away, I would highly recommend that kid befriends some officer that can get him into the witness relocation program before his father can get his hands on him.

:faint:

6. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

I would be one upset daddy if this happened and they took all the weapons in the cabinet. This kid is going to have some explaining to dad, but again this is Mass.

"“He was stunned that he was able to gain access to the cabinet. But again, at this point it’s precautionary to make sure that we suspend and also take into custody all of those weapons,” said Chief Anthony Riello, Falmouth Police Department."

7. USMCgs3

USMCgs3
    Expand Collapse

Take the kid away, not the guns!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. G30Mike

G30Mike
    Expand Collapse
    Say When!

Ha, I had the exact same thought before I even read your post.

9. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

That would never work,that would be like telling the Truth. SJ 40

10. BK63

BK63
    Expand Collapse

When I was a kid there was a wooden gun cabinet in my bedroom with everything we owned in it. I didn't even think about picking anything up unless I was going shooting with my dad. Times have changed. When I had kids everything went in a safe. Always locked up, always. Not that I don't trust my kids, but things are different and I won't even take the chance. My kids are in their 20's now and I still leave everything locked in a safe. Nothing in a night stand or anything like that. I just won't take a chance. I hope this guy comes out ok and learns a lesson from this.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

You don't know anything about guns at all. They can just go off. Every year guns track down and shoot hundreds of innocent young school children to death. A gun in a home is 236 times more likely to turn on its owners and suddenly shoot them than they are to be used in any safe way whatsoever. And modern polymer guns like Glock and AK47's don't need coventional bullets. They have teflon hollow points that shoot from the high capacity clips.

#12 ithaca_deerslayer, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

13. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy
    Expand Collapse
    Legal & Proper

If it's found that the kid broke into the cabinet, I don't see how the government will be able to justify the continued revocation of the father's permit and the confiscation of his property.

so, he'll probably get everything back. (in about six years and after spending tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees)

this is a prime example of why registration of any kind is bad.

14. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

You're much wiser than many here.

15. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

Without knowing what type of "cabinet" the guns were stored in, it wouldn't be fair to blame the father.

But.....if they were in a wood cabinet with a glass display, locked or not, the father is an idiot. A display-type cabinet that is easy to break into is not only too tempting for the son, but also for the son's friends as well as burglars.

#17 AA#5, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  16. G30Mike

G30Mike
    Expand Collapse
    Say When!

Wonder if they would have taken the fathers drivers license and cars if the son had stolen one out of the garage and taken it to school?

Without knowing if the "cabinet" was locked or not, its not fair for me to pass judgement on dad. I have a very young son and my guns all stay in the safe. I do keep my G30 in a holster attached to the head of my bed on the mattress out of view while I sleep. If I'm not sleeping its on me. I don't leave it unattended at all.

I really hope I'm able to educate my son so that when he gets older he knows guns aren't toys and deserve the utmost respect, but I wont leave them unlocked because no matter how educated YOUR kids are, someone elses kids, ie their little friends, are probably not. You also never know what your kids may do to "look cool", like bring a gun to school.

Hope everything works out for dad, but if he was truly wreckless in the storage of his firearms, there should be some kind of consequences. At 15 the kid should damn well know better than to bring a gun to school. I fear for the future of his ability to own a gun later in life when he grows up and has the potential to be a responsible adult.

17. James Dean

James Dean
    Expand Collapse

I don't think the chief is too bright either.

18. tim12232

tim12232
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might have to use that in my signature! sounds like something Diane Sawyer would say:upeyes: