close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sometimes I just shake my head..

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by eracer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I respect the profession.

But sometimes cops do things that make me shake my head in amazement.

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.

2. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Sounds like a usual day from what I have heard in these parts.

4. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for ruining my fantasy, Hack.:supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

You're welcome.:whistling:

6. LMAO! It's the flip side of the "Why can't you be out catching real criminals?" people say when they get stopped. Just because you didn't see the cop stop him right then doesn't mean he didn't get stopped further down the road.

Maybe the intersection was a bad location for a stop.
    Maybe the officer was waiting for information about the car or driver.
    Maybe the officer was waiting for another officer for back up because the car belonged to a known violent person.
    Maybe a million other things that you or I can't think of.

Nobody appreciates being Monday Morning Quarterbacked, and cops get way more than their fair share.

7. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    Everytime we get to ruin someone's fantasy, an angel gets her wings. :supergrin:

8. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

But thanks for your thoughtful response to my 'monday morning quarterbacking.'

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.

9. Danged if that isn't spot on!

10. See: "Million other reasons..."

I was pulled over once for running a red light. The officer got about half way into the stop before he got a call on the radio. He handed me back my docs, said "Be more careful" and took off like a bat out of hell. Sometimes there are more important things than traffic enforcement.

Before you say "When he turned North he was driving normal speed" I can only respond to what you post. If you left out details, obviously, I can't account for them. Sort of like how we can't account for details that an officer knows but we are not privy too when we watch them drive down the road.

11. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    Again, the officer may have been en route to a call. Even if it was a non-priority call, LEOs are generally expected to go directly to their calls for service and NOT stop cars on the way. Why? Because this severely annoys dispatchers especially when they have to run two different calls on the cad at the same time on the same officer. Not to mention how much longer the response times would be. It is highly frowned upon unless it's such a grievous violation it simply has to be dealt with then and there.

He may have been looking down at his lap contemplating suck-starting his pistol, looking at his computer, his phone, his radio, or his dashboard and not seen the infraction.

We are not perfect.

We are not capable of dropping everything to take care of an infraction violation just because it offends you. Trust me, I know.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    You make an awful lot of assumptions.

You assume that because you feel the violation is so egregious, that we're going to cite for it. I give more warnings than tickets on the average night, and that includes warnings for sign/signal violations and speeding. It's traffic enforcement - it's all "insignificant" in the big scheme. Necessary, but relatively minor.

You also appear to assume that the officer was too lazy to make the stop. Maybe he was en route to a non-emergency call - many agencies have policies (official and unofficial) about enforcing traffic laws for anything but an ongoing danger to the public (e.g. an obviously drunk driver, somebody going the wrong way on a one way) while responding to a call. They have these policies because A) the person whose call for service they are handling has likely already been waiting and B) it can be a way for an officer to dodge the call. Ultimately, if nobody pulls a single car over, there are fewer complaints than people left waiting an hour to report a burglary.

Maybe the officer was on his way home after pulling a double. Maybe he was on his way to court. Maybe he was heading out of town for training. Maybe he was on his way to dinner. Maybe you're right, maybe he was just too lazy to make the stop.

Maybe that department is hiring.

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    he was more than likely assigned to something else that took priority over the minor traffic violation..

14. Bpunk360

Bpunk360

Feb 23, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    Spot on...

or it was not a traffic infraction..

in NJ if your at a stop sign and the 1st person in line comes to a complete stop and then goes through the intersection, the second person in line does not have to come to a complete stop as long as they came to a complete stop behind the 1st person, but the 3rd person does.

15. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    ZING! Love the "put-up-or-shut-up" undertone, and you're right.

No one can say why anyone else did anything, since none of us are that person. The best we can do is say what is possibly and likely.

If they ARE hiring, I'm gonna need some contact info on the department in question :supergrin:

16. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    No appointment and no hat. Isn't this what people wanted? Maybe he was out catching "real criminals"?

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    That's going to be my standard response in these threads now. I've already used it a second time.

18. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    Maybe the cop was surfing the Caturday thread in GNG on his mobile laptop and oblivious to the infraction in question?

But that is the romantic in me coming out again and rearing it's ugly head. :supergrin:

19. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I rarely pull people over if I am on my way to a call. It has to be a near accident or actual accident for me to do something. I spend most of my day shagging calls for service. If they wanted me to pull over cars they would give us more bodies. That is not happening until two years after this economy recovers. That should happen in fiscal year 2022. Which is also the fiscal year I retire.