close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Something I've noticed about open carriers in my area.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

Seems in my area there were rallies and such but nobody just going about their business open carrying. Now theres no more rallies but plenty of people just going about their day OCing.

I have noticed though, last 3 i saw were:
    Smith J frame
    Subcompact Glock
    Ruger LCP

Now, these are tiny guns. Easy to conceal. So why not conceal them?

Also noticed 2 of the 3 were crappy nylon holsters, get some good leather.

Third, if your gonna show it get something big and awesome:cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. attrapereves

attrapereves
    Expand Collapse

No doubt that open carry is more comfortable. However, I like to avoid conflict and stay under the radar, so I choose concealed.

A lot of OC'ers carry for political reasons.

3. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

the "political reason" types ive seen are usually in big groups, like a rally, or the one guy with a ar15 i saw, definitely begging for attention, one guy did walk around the same area for 2 hours with a camera begging for attention.

Who ive been seeing lately are just guys picking up food or pumping gas, but with tiny pocket sized guns. I can fit a j frame or lcp in a pocket and conceal a baby glock without much effort

4. p01ic3m4n

p01ic3m4n
    Expand Collapse

I don't even know of many police agencies that condone open carry. Bad guys kill a lot of cops because they surprise the cop with a gun they didn't know about. Who wouldn't want an advantage like that?

5. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that seems to be a trend.

But, a few months back I saw an attempt for the opposite. A couple walked into the LGS that I frequent and, asked for a "good" holster for their Hi Point. I'm not kidding. The shop owner asked them what style they preferred and, tried to find something that they would be happy with. The couple got angry when the only holster that fit was an Uncle Mike's. Their response was, "Those are cheap." :faint:

After they left, the shop The LGS owner said, "I definitely don't see that contradiction everyday." Needless to say, we got a laugh out of it.

6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

Yeah ive got a balde tech and comp tac for the g19, good holsters rule.

7. Scott3670

Scott3670
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap! I think I saw that couple at Dick's the other day. Young couple carrying his-n-her Hipoint C9's but in very cheap Uncle Mike's holsters. They were moaning about the lousy quality of the holsters.

8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker
    Expand Collapse

It truly is amazing that the majority of open carriers use crap like Uncle Mikes or Fobus. I think it just proves my opinion that they are not shooters, but show-offs.

9. Csv

Csv
    Expand Collapse

It seems about every other time I go into home Depot I see someone open carrying, or half asked attempt at concealing it. I am in HD 3-5 times a week. I get it but it's not for me, the only time I open carry is hiking in the woods and it's my g20

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

10. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:I'd be willing to bet there is more than one couple sporting Hipoints in the best that Uncle Mike's has to offer.

11. AZ Husker

AZ Husker
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it is a tough decision when you own a Hi-Point whether to spend the additional cash on a $15 Uncle Mikes!

12. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I agree. That's why I have awesome gunfighter rigs from El Paso Saddlery for my sweet ass wheelguns.

Make every OC day like it is BBQ carry day.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

90% of my holsters are leather, but I've got several Fobus and Uncle Mike's holsters, too.......

Am I the only one who thinks the better nylon and plastic holsters are actually very good holsters? I'd prefer to call them inexpensive, rather than cheap. They are very well made, and are built to last a long time. Those who won't own one are looking for something more than function.......and, you just have to agree that function, as well as expense is what they are all about......:supergrin:

Who isn't aware of some very poorly made leather holsters? Some of those are really crappy.

Uncle Mike's holsters have their place among the better functional holsters of their kind......mass produced, inexpensive, very functional.

:wavey: ooc

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I see those floppy sloppy holsters all the time...from either Walmart regulars or the dummies on the range who drop their guns out of them when they bend over.

15. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

It's because they want the attention. It's that simple.

16. Ceapea

Ceapea
    Expand Collapse

I bought two Fobus paddle holsters for range use. They seem to be pretty decent. They hold the pistol too far away from my hip for me to consider them good CC holsters though.

#16 Ceapea, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  17. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

Plain and simple, it's more comfortable to just grab and go with OC. Most people treat it as a tool like a watch and not something to show off with. Heck, more often than not I use my cheap Sig holster that came with my P938 to just shove onto my belt, rather than thread on my Fist K2.

However I could really care less what others think of what or how I carry. It's not a show. IWB or concealed is fine when colder weather sets in and I wear a vest or jacket, but summertime, it's usually just clip that thing to my belt and go about my day. Not a fan of leather anyway, kydex is where it's at for me.

18. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I agree. They usually seem to be people who are pretty new to shooting as well (the activist types, I mean). Who the &^%$ has been a shooter for more than 2 or 3 years and doesn't have some nice leather holsters?

19. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

The last OCer I encountered had what looked like a Bersa .380 in a really cheapo nylon holster. He seemed truly clueless.

20. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric
    Expand Collapse
    .45 ACP

If I could OC, I would carry AK-47. I don't care if I am an attention-whore; at least I am pushing people to accept that guns are normal and part of our lives. If I conceals then the more anti-gun will breeds.