Glock Talk banner

Sold my 930 SPX...

8K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  F_G 
#1 ·
I bought it about a month ago then a week after I bought a Benelli M4. My friend has been wanting the SPX so I said "what the hell, ok". I wanted another semi-auto so I went to the store and bought me another Benelli M4.:rofl:

I'm going to add some goodies on the one I have right now and this new one I'm picking up will stay factory stock with the exception of a new charging handle. "One is none and two is one" right?:supergrin:

#4 ·
I had a 930 once (non-SPX), it always had FTE issues on low brass but fed high brass just fine, did you have similar issues?

Congrats on the Benelli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fired only 90-100 rounds through it. Bird shot, 00 buck, & slugs. It ate everything perfectly and didn't have any malfunctions. I would highly recommend a 930 SPX to anyone because it can't be beat for the price. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the finish marred up easily and field stripping it, which is EASY, but the Benelli M4 is MUCH easier/quicker.

#6 ·
I had a 930 once (non-SPX), it always had FTE issues on low brass but fed high brass just fine, did you have similar issues?

Congrats on the Benelli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 930 shoots low brass fairly well. I've had two fte's out of about 120 rounds. They're really designed to shoot high brass defense loads, but do nearly 100% on low brass. I was told that if you shoot low brass for the first 200 rounds, it'll shoot them better from then on.....who knows? I really like mine.

#7 · (Edited)
I bought an SPX a few months ago. It had numerous failures to feed and eject. Mag tube also not was holding rounds very well. Contacted Mossberg and had a horrible customer service experience. Brand new shotgun and they treated me horribly. I complained to managment.

Long story short they paid for me to ship it back. Got the shotgun returned a week later. No mention of what they did. Called the company. Turns out they replaced numerous internal parts (3). I took it to the range and fired about 250 rounds thru it. 150 low brass target rounds, 75 buck mix of low and standard recoil, 25 slugs low recoil. It handled them all fine without incident or failure. Now I feel I can depend on it a little more.

It's a great shotgun but QC and customer service need work.

#10 ·
I had a 930 SPX as well earlier this year, traded it when cash was fairly tight and still enjoy what I got. But, I do miss it and my pumps don't seem to make me quite as happy. I will have another one of these days, who knows when but you know how that goes!

#11 ·
I fired only 90-100 rounds through it. Bird shot, 00 buck, & slugs. It ate everything perfectly and didn't have any malfunctions. I would highly recommend a 930 SPX to anyone because it can't be beat for the price. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the finish marred up easily and field stripping it, which is EASY, but the Benelli M4 is MUCH easier/quicker.
I love my m4 excellent shotgun but i have had a lot of issues with the camo finish on it. Really bummed on how cheap it is. Probaly lost about 20% of the finish now. Its my only camo gun and heard thats commen with camo finishes so i learned my lesson will never bye a camo gun again. The important part is my m4 runs like a champ and is a joy to shoot. Maybe i will refinish it after about half of it is gone.

#12 · (Edited)
I sold my SPX and bought this...super ninja tactical special ops shotgun.

I loved my 930. It ran flawlessly even with low brass craptastic ammo. I just really wanted a plain jane 500 pump. Oddly enough I dont miss having a semiauto shotgun? I do want another semiauto but I dont know what??? Maybe a Saiga since it does reload extremely fast and foreign guns might get banned from import? I just dont know.

#15 ·
I love my 930 SPX 8 shot. I had 190 very old 7.5 shot and it ate 'em quick & with no probs.
How not to love the ghost-ring sights & rail?

One of the BIG problems they've had, is with the magazine follower, though.
Easily replaced and inexpensive, parts from Brownells.com, etc. You can actually do an upgrade while fixing this common problem instead of returning it for service.

I also have the 7+1 500 pump model... love it.
Either will keep the cats off the porch. LOL

#16 ·
One of the BIG problems they've had, is with the magazine follower, though.
Are you sure what you are describing? The magazine follower on a shot gun is the cap in front of the spring in the magazine tube. Not sure how this could cause any problem...can you elaborate please?

#19 ·
Are you sure what you are describing? The magazine follower on a shot gun is the cap in front of the spring in the magazine tube. Not sure how this could cause any problem...can you elaborate please?
I don’t think it was so much the magazine follower as the magazine spring. I’ve read numerous issues with people not being able to fully load the magazine tube because the spring would either be to long or would kink. When I had my 930SPX it would sometimes not fully load seven shells and I would have to remove and replace the spring.

#20 · (Edited)
I don’t think it was so much the magazine follower as the magazine spring. I’ve read numerous issues with people not being able to fully load the magazine tube because the spring would either be to long or would kink. When I had my 930SPX it would sometimes not fully load seven shells and I would have to remove and replace the spring.
This was the very problem I had with mine (one of several problems). Mossberg sent me 3 different springs, of which all were to long. frankr was kind enough to send an extra he had (and refused any kind of compensation) which fixed that problem.

#21 · (Edited)
This was the very problem I had with mine (one of several problems). Mossberg sent me 3 different springs, of which all were to long. frankr was kind enough to send an extra he had (and refused any kind of compensation) which fixed that problem.
I was more than happy to help. I sold my 930 SPX and purchased the Benelli M2 Tactical. My M2 has been a great shooting shotgun. When I sent you the magazine spring my wife and I were living in S.C. Two years ago we moved back to our home town in Pennsylvania. I know what your thinking, are they nuts to live S.C for PA? Ha,Ha,Ha.:rofl:
Hope all is going well with you.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide how to set my light up on my 930. I like your setup. Can you tell me about it? THX.
Just a standard SPX with an EoTech red-dot, a +6 caddy, and a Picatinny 5 way adapter which is shown with a Surfire light, but could put anything on, like a laser. It also has a Blackhawk tactical sling.

#24 ·
I was more than happy to help. I sold my 930 SPX and purchased the Benelli M2 Tactical. My M2 has been a great shooting shotgun. When I sent you the magazine spring my wife and I were living in S.C. Two years ago we moved back to our home town in Pennsylvania. I know what your thinking, are they nuts to live S.C for PA? Ha,Ha,Ha.:rofl:
Hope all is going well with you.
You're right, but who am I to question your sanity:supergrin:.

Life has been good after I got rid of the 930, great concept, just not executed very well. I've got 2 Benelli M1 Super 90's, I've had for years, one I use for hunting with a 26" barrel and one is the tactical model, truly great shotguns. Mossberg gave it a noble effort and their attempt at keeping them affordable is admirable, the magazine spring and stripped screw for the rail were fixable and liveable, but after the plastic transfer bar housing broke, that was the last straw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.