close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soft shooting & accurate 40 factory loads for GSSF Matches?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TooManyGlocks, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

So far I've found Federal American Eagle 165 to be the softest shooting. However I typically score better, with a G26 in Sub-Compact class than I do with my 24C in the competition class. I'm willing to test out more loads before I jump ship and buy a 17C combo with a non-comp barrel for amateur class.

Any suggestions? Your favorite factory 40 load?

Thanks,

TooManyGlocks

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Blazer 165-gr FMJ and American Eagle 165-gr FMJ are the two softest shooting 40 factory rounds, but are still more powerful than any 9mm ammo.

3. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

You should really consider using the G26 for everything. I found in my experience the G26 works best for me all around. In the past I would shoot as many as 4 different guns in the catagories. The G26 scores 90% of the time were my best scores. As a result I now shoot the G26 with standard size G17 magazines for all catagories and have actually won some guns with it. My best GSSF time to date is 73.11 seconds and it was with the G26. It can be a winner and the great part is the feel. You are not swapping out different sized guns, mags and calibers while on the table. I carry 12 10 or 17 round G17 magazines with me for the match and can just rock and roll on the plates with no line. In addition you can shoot the catagories you have less chance of winning first as "warm up" and be "in the groove" for the AmGuardian or Civilian catagory and the serious prizes. It helps that the 9mm ammo is bargain basement in price as well! :)

4. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

FotoTomas,

Have you shot the G17 side by side with the G26? How did they compare? . . . especially at the 25 yard line? In years past I did discover that I was able to shoot the G26 better than my G19. I'll have to re-evaluate my 25 yard shooting again with my 19 & 26 to see if anything has changed. Never owned a 17 however since the capacity ban is lifted I'm thinking about buying one. Using the G26 for all stages is what I did years ago when there was no separate subcompact class, just a $75 or $50 check. I was able to score top Sub Compact shooter twice in the late 90's. I wish I had keep the score sheets to see how they stacked up against my more recent score.

Not leaving well enough alone I'll be shooting the Major Sub class this years with a G30. That puts me in 3 divisions and I'll shoot one maybe two for practice. Can we use the longer 21 mags in the Major Sub class with the G30? I've always used longer mags with my 26 - kinda feels like cheating but since GSSF allows it why handicap yourself.

5. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Let me put it this way...When I shot my very first GSSF match in Jacksonville, 2001 I fired two catagories. Am/Civ and Sub Compact. My Am civ was a respectable 130.48 for a beginner that put me at 29th place in A class.

The sub compact score was a 97.27 for a 4th place finish just out of the money. My sub score on the 5 to GLOCK was a clean run. Not only clean but all A's. I have never done it again since then but I have gotten the score down overall. I do not know the reason BUT I think my old eyes and the short sight radius helped. It took me over a year and about 6 more GSSF matches to realize that I consistantly shot the G26 better and when shooting more than two categories my third run tended to be the best.

Today I will campaign the G26 as my only GSSF gun for each category. I tend to shoot three so that my 3rd run, the Am/Guardian score, will keep me in the money.

I have had some bad runs as well. This year my Am/Guardian score in Orlando was a terrible (for me) 107.23. It kept me in the money in second place. I had a bad front sight for the match and my comp score was much worse. A 123.23 while the sub compact ended up being 128.22. I was not happy with the match and blame myself for lack of practice and not noticing the front site was bent as much as it was. The GSSF armorer slapped a new one on and the improvement embarrased me. No one to blame but myself.

A friend, Jay Shebuski is an awsome GSSF shooter with consistant sub 70 scores. He has on occasion shot it all with his G27. It works for many.

As for the G30...I have considered getting one myself and replacing the G26 for a match and shoot everything with it. The full size magazines are legal in it as well. I was thinking about a two day affair with 6 categories, three per day with the G30 on one day and the G26 the other. Oh to have such money and time! :)

6. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

So far my best score, at least from the records I have keep is 114.95 with the G26 back in 2000. Last year with a G21 I shot a 132 with absolutely no practice at the range and I had not shot any weapons for over 6 months. This is with un modified factory sights and 5# connector. SO I figure with some actual practice & focus and applying the tips I've read here - I will hopefully get my score below "100"

GSSF shoots have been good to me. I've won twice in the B-1 slot in the mid 90's and have gotten numerous checks in the A division. At this point I'm trying to not become obsessive compulsive about the GSSF matches. My goal is to win 3 A-1 slots this year. I hoping on attending at least 3 matches. If by some strange turn of events Roseburg and Salt Lake are not on the same weekend then I'd go to 4.

I applaud Glock for sponsoring the shoots and putting up with a few grumpy shooters. Just think if Sig, Berretta, Ruger, HK, Kel-Tec`l, S&W did these same types of shoots what it would do for the shooting sports and gun ownership in general.