Social Thread LVIII: Lawman wants a Euro-hug

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by OfficerChris, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

I concur. Especially for in a humid environment.

Sent from my communicator.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Speaking of which, what would you think of getting the plastic stock for the M1? I noticed that Brownells carries one for sale.

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Probably it would depend on how deep the groove work is. If it's real shallow I would suggest getting another barrel, and head spacing equipment.

4. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

I got my 91/30 from RGuns at a gun show at KCI Expo. They were good to work with, and the gun was in ready to fire condition. The upper most ring came loose while firing it though. I was concerned that the handguard was going to come loose while firing ammo. Then the loading area for ammo seemed to be harder to get ammo into. I may have to look at it and try something a little different later. Maybe open up the magazine and feed from the bottom.

5. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Ain't that the truth. Tax the producers to death to give more to the takers.

6. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I think that you should be beaten with a rubber hose for even thinking of such!

7. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I think I'm just going to stick with buying as much of that Greek surplus as I can right now, and reloading later to duplicate the M2 (or as close as I can get to it). I really don't want to turn it into a manually-operated rifle if I don't have to, lol.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Right on. I was under the impression that it would still operate in SA. There is ammo on CMP's other site that is specifically made for the range. I am guessing it is easier on baffles.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

I am thinking SHTF scenario.

10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Marriage is what it is, LOL. We both actually use it.

11. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I think it just doesn't attract a magnet like the M2 ball does (even the non-AP); some ranges won't let you shoot it if it attracts a magnet.

True, but I'd still be okay with the wood even in that scenario. If it's good enough for all it went through in WW2 and Korea, among other places, it's good enough for me.

12. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I wasn't referring to the marriage, lol. I was meaning how the wonderfulness of redistribution of wealth is in this country.

13. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Ah. Yeah it's been going on for some time. Now, it'll just get worse.

14. Hack

Hack Crazy CO
    Gold Member

The range I go to doesn't allow the magnetic stuff.

The reason for the plastic stock is that it deteriorates at a much slower rate than wood. But, the bad thing is because of it being lighter there would be more recoil.

#734 Hack, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  15. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I just don't like how it affects the balance on them; it makes them WAYYY too muzzle-heavy for my tastes.

16. I don't care for inexpensive plastic or synthetic stocks for the M1/M14 system. The barreled receiver fits into the stock group and is locked in place by the trigger group. The problem comes when the barrel/receiver group does not fit tightly into the stock group and it shifts around. When it shifts during recoil/counter-recoil, the barrel/receiver group never returns to the same resting point as the shot before and accuracy is horrible.

Because there are many different manufacturers of the rifle; Springfield, Winchester, H&R, etc., the stock has to be made large to fit most actions and this magnifies the above problem. To fix this, the rifle then has to be bedded using Acra-glas, Liquid Steel, or a similar product. The next problem comes when the now bedded rifle is field stripped for cleaning and the disassembly process destroys the now tight tolerances.

When I bedded my M1A for service rifle matches, it was to a standard walnut stock, but only after I had done all the work necessary to the rifle. Since doing it in the 90s, the rifle has never been disassembled for cleaning. On a target only rifle, this is perfectly fine.

If you want a synthetic stock, buy from McMillan or a high end manufacturer who watches their tolerances closely and has reinforced recoil shoulders in the stock.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Can't do it without some very expensive equipment and it's really not worth doing if you are looking to redrill the lands and grooves. Those things are cheap enough to be disposable rifles as is.

I did that route as well, and wrapped the rifles in black rags and placed them in the summer sun for a few days to get the heat to cook the oils out first before I did my wash.

If you have a steamer, that is the best way to do it, IMHO. I had one but couldn't find it until I was done with my other methods. Guess that just means I have to buy another rifle and use the steamer.:supergrin:

BEST SITE EVAH FOR MILSURP INFO WITH DIAGRAMS AND STEP BY STEP INFO ON COMPLETE DISASSEMBLY OF EVERY MAJOR MILSURP FIREARM OUT THERE, DOWN TO TAKING APART THE BOLT TO EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Maybe not that extreme... but yeah, some persuasion needs to happen to prevent that. I thought about sporterizing the Mosin as well with that Monte Carlo stock that ATI sells, but then thought better of it because it is what it is and I am not really about to spend more than the rifle is worth by putting on a stock and scope and all the other junk on it. I'm going to shoot it as is and if I need something different, I have my Steyr SSG for that.

Marriage is redistribution of wealth. That's why you need to marry wealthy.

#737 lawman800, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

I did buy the ati stock and put it on. Too bad the rifle doesn't hit shayt

19. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Some of us work for a living.