close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So what kind of watch does everyone wear?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Roger1079, Sep 27, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Seadweller 4000. I can dig it.

2. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

current go-to favorite

a couple currently relegated to riding the bench...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

3. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

I wear a Rolex GMT-II Master everyday since 1997. Just bought the wife a Rolex Yachtmaster men's model (her preference) in Gold and Stainless a few years ago for her 30th birthday. :supergrin:

4. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

AirCav, you have bueno taste. Love that set. The Planet Ocean got my watch bug back in gear and the Sinn is a beautifully crafted line.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Probably the longest lasting most worn watch I own. I bought it at a Seiko outlet in Maine about 20 years ago, pepsi bezel Seiko Automatic diver....the thing still is a fantastic watch to own.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

That's just silly. Do you insist on driving a primered beater car so you won't get carjacked?

Don't wear it on your vacation to Nigeria and you should be ok.

7. Roger1079

Roger1079

The car is a blast to drive when it works. There is something about being able to start the tires spinning at a 70mph roll that just puts a smile on my face. The same can be said for the lopey idle that shakes the entire car. Unfortunately it spends more time on the lift at the shop than it does on the road.

And yes, I know it was sarcasm. I think I might have taken that course in college at some point. :supergrin:

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

Actually unless my sarcasm detector is broken all of a sudden, I think that entire post was quite full of it.

9. HexHead

HexHead

The dial and the bezel insert are solid Platinum. The lugs are curved differently than on a Sub, so the watch wears flatter. All the links are solid. The Sub I had before was very light weight in comparison, this weighs as much as a Panerai I had. I like that it's actually kind of stealthy in that it doesn't look like a Sub. And I love the red lettering, a nod to some of the most collectable Rolexes, and the red second hand.

10. Roger1079

Roger1079

Believe it or not, this Submariner has garnered me more attention from strangers in the 1 week I have owned it than both of my Breitlings did over the last several years, and the Navitimer sticks out like a sore thumb with the huge dial.

As of last night, 5 total strangers now made mention of it. 3 of them asked if it was fake, one complemented me on it, and the last one was actually the one that surprised me the most.

It was a merchant selling cell phone accessories at a center kiosk at my local mall. I was walking by and out of nowhere I hear him say "Is that a Submariner Date or a GMT Master? I can't tell from this distance." I replied with, "It's a fake." and continued walking. He then responded with "Bull****, sell it to me then. I'll give you $500 for it right now. Nice profit for you on a fake watch." I just kept walking without saying anything else.

Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.

11. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

and that's the problem with nice watches - you can become a target by wearing one. I don't own a Rolex but if I did, I would limit myself to wearing it someplace safe, like work. I would never wear it walking around NYC for example.

12. Roger1079

Roger1079

That watch is gorgeous. I love how the steel dial looks with that bezel. Those lugs were actually why I was originally looking for a pre 2010 Sub. They match the curves of the watch so much better than the new versions wider lugs.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  13. HexHead

HexHead

At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.

14. HexHead

HexHead

The dial is solid platinum.

15. Roger1079

Roger1079

I know. I was referring to the color of the dial with that bezel. Rolex refers to the dial color as "steel". You definitely know your history too. The Sea Dwellers you are referring to with the red text on the dial are some of the most sought after watches that the company has ever produced.

16. HexHead

HexHead

I've been wearing Rolexes since 1983, my YachtMaster is my fifth one. In all that time, I've has one person ask if it was a real one. It was a mid-size DateJust (which you practically never see) which might have prompted the question. I purposely bought that one because it was stealthier than the typical DateJust. I've had two people comment about my current one. One was a guy that had just gotten one of the new DateJust II models, and the other was a guy wearing a TT GMT that was thinking about trading up. So much for all that attention they draw.
    Omega makes a nice watch, at one point between my wife and I we had nine of them. Granted, they've stepped up their game with the Co-axial movements, but I never had one that ran as well as any of my Rolexes. Not in terms of accuracy nor power reserve. And to compare a Tag to a Rolex is just, well laughable.

Of all the watches I've had, this is the one that garnered the most attention and comments...

[​IMG]

Absolutely, the most comfortable bracelet ever, too.

17. Roger1079

Roger1079

Agreed. Invicta also has a few models that are similar in appearance to the Breitling for Bentley line. As the saying goes, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

That being said, I would take ANY Invicta over a fake rolex.

18. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

But in fact it IS NOT a Submariner. :rofl:

19. cgjane

cgjane

20. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Do you really believe when you purchase a high end, quality product that's been around for years and sells millions steadily for those years that you're only paying for the name? ie: Rolex is exactly like a Timex except for the name.